Friday, February 13, 2009

The Wish

The Wish!


Persons: Alexandros, Aisha, Jonas, Lisa

Narrator: This story begins in Greece. Our star, Alexandros is 16 years old. Aisha is 16 too and she is Alexandros’ girlfriend. They met while Alexandros was on a vacation trip in Turkey. Aisha now lives in Greece with her family. It is June, holidays are approaching day after day and the two kids are sitting at a park near their neighbourhood enjoying the first days of summer. Suddenly they see a shooting star and make a wish. Alexandros not knowing what to wish for he wished he had the chance to see himself into the future! Then, without a warning a strobilus draws away the two teenagers and they found them selves lying at an apartment…


Alexandros: Aisha? Aisha? Are you ok? (Panicked)

Aisha: err…I guess… What has happened? What is this place? How… where the hell are we?

(Alexandros goes near her and helps her stand up)

Aisha: I am ok! OK!

Alexandros: How did we get here? The last thing I remember is us sitting at the park when we saw that star falling! Hey! Now wait a second!

Aisha: What is it?

Alexandros: You remember that star, right?

Aisha: Yeah…go on…

Alexandros: You told me to make a wish…and… no, no… this is going to sound crazy…

Aisha: Crazier than the fact that we are some kind of transported here without even knowing how? I don’t think so! So speak up!

Alexandros: Yeah… I sort of make a wish to see myself in the future…But I didn’t really mean it …I just didn’t know what else to wish for!

Aisha: Couldn’t you wish for a good grade in history? We are taking our exams in two days! That’s what I wished for!

Alexandros: Riiight! This was the ideal wish for me! (Sarcastic)

Aisha: Anyway…well? Where is your future self? I can’t see anyone else in this hideous apartment!

Alexandros: Hey! Now that you mentioned it! This apartment reminds me of something!

Aisha: And what is it?

Alexandros: Oh! I know! This looks exactly like my uncle Mark’s apartment! Only the furniture is different!

Aisha: Do you at least know where this apartment is?

Alexandros: Of course! I was living there when I was 7 or something…

Aisha: So? Where is it?

Alexandros: USA, New York

Alexandros and Aisha: NEW YORK?

Aisha: You’re joking! Right?

Alexandros: I wish I were..!

Aisha: Ok…so…we’re in New York! Any idea about which year it is?

Alexandros: I didn’t wish for a particular year…just future!

Aisha: There must be a calendar around here!

Alexandros: Oh! Here we go! There are some documents on that table! (Goes and picks them up) Yeah! There’s a date on it! (Looks stunned)

Aisha: There’s nothing else to surprise me most! What is it? 2020?

Alexandros: Worse…2028!

Aisha: Ok…so you must be 36 years old now!

Alexandros: Oh! No! I really don’t wanna see how I look in my 36!

Aisha: Well, you know what they say! Be careful of what you wish for!

Alexandros: Aisha? Can I make a question?

Aisha: yeah?

Alexandros: What if I am an old guy with no hair and I work as… in a bank? Would you still wanna be with me?

(Aisha’s phone rings)

Aisha: err…Hold that thought! Don’t forget it! Would you?

(Answers the phone)

Aisha: Yes? Mom? I am fine yes…where am I? (Looks at Alexandros) you know…hanging out with Alex…yes, mom! With Alex! Would I be late? I don’t think so…I am losing you! Can’t hear you well! Bye! Kisses!

Alexandros: Poor mom! She must be really worried!

Aisha: Yeah! Don’t you think we should be worried about us first? At least she is at her home in 2009 and not in 2030!

Alexandros: 2028!

Aisha: Oh! Right! Thanks for the correction darling! (Sarcastic)

Aisha: Don’t you hear something?

Alexandros: Someone’s coming!

Aisha: Well? What shall we do now?

Alexandros: I don’t know…let’s just wait!

(One woman enters the stage)

Lisa: Aaaaaa! (Screams) Jonas? Jonas? Two kids are in our apartment!

(Jonas enters the stage)

Jonas: What is it Lisa?

(Jonas sees Alexandros and Aisha and he looks stunned)

Jonas: This…this…

Lisa: Are you ok, Jonas? Do you know them?

Jonas: This can’t just happen!

Lisa: What’s the matter?

Jonas: This is me!

Lisa: Excuse me? Honey are you ok? Do you need a glass of water?

Jonas: No…it’s ok…I’ll explain everything later!

Lisa: If there is anything to explain..!

Jonas: Oh my god! Is this Aisha? Gosh! Long time no see! (tries to hug her)

Aisha: Get off me you freak!

Alexandros: Don’t you touch her!

Jonas: Calm down! I am you! You are me! What can I do to prove it to you?

Alexandros: Tell me something that nobody else knows!

Jonas: Well…that’s easy! Remember at your cousin’s wedding when you were really young and you…

Alexandros: Ok! You can stop there!

Aisha: Hey! That’s not fair! I wanna hear what you did! Tell me!

Jonas: Actually, this would embarrass me too because we are talking about the same person! So I’d rather stop there!

Lisa: You have never talked to me about that either!

Aisha: That’s not fair at all! Anyway…sorry for calling you a freak before…I had no idea you were Alexandros!

Alexandros: So this is me! I am ok…except from the clothes…

Aisha: Now that you mentioned it! This is my future boyfriend! You asked me before if I would still wanna be with you! So…yeah! I would!

Alexandros: Hey! You waited to see me first and then you answered!

Aisha: err…

Lisa: Future boyfriend? Jonas? What is she talking about? What is everybody talking about?

Aisha: Who is she really?

Alexandros: Why does she call you Jonas?

Jonas: Ook! These are too many questions! I’ll explain! Lisa…I know this sounds crazy but this is me in my 16! And Alex… your life has changed a lot since you were 16!

Alexandros: Good changes?

Jonas: Sort of…when you grew up, you became a successful businessman!

Alexandros: Me? A businessman?

Jonas: Yes! And in fact the biggest!

Lisa: Good times..!

Alexandros: What happened?

Jonas: Well some people tried to take your money and they turned the Greek police against you…

Alexandros: Sounds like a movie so far!

Aisha: I like it! Go on!

Jonas: Well at the same time Uncle Mark died and left you this apartment…

Alexandros: Uncle Mark died? Oh, man!

Aisha: Don’t worry Alex...he is still alive in our reality!

Jonas: Yeah…after this event you started calling him more often and you’ve also visited him many times!

Alexandros: So…that’s why he left me this apartment…

Jonas: Most probably! But where was I? Oh! Yes! You were forced to leave Greece and change your life! You stayed here with your new name -Jonas- and enough money to live all your life!

Aisha: All this sounds great! But who is she???

Jonas: Yeah…right…I forgot..! Jonas, Aisha this is my fiancée Lisa!

Aisha: Your WHAT? (Looks at Alexandros)

Alexandros: Don’t look at me! He is engaged to her!

Jonas: It’s the same thing actually!

Aisha: Well, it seems that you wouldn’t like to be with me in the future! (Scowls)

Alexandros: What? Oh come on now! She’s not even my type!

Lisa: Not you’re type?

Jonas: Lisa, I was different in my 16!

Alexandros: I can always change the future right? Just because I saw it now it doesn’t mean that this is how it is going to be!

Aisha: Yeah! Who knows! Maybe in a different future I can manage to be your girlfriend!

Lisa: Dream on girl! I am the one wearing the ring now!

Aisha: Alex I’ll hit her! Hold me!!

Jonas: Come on girls! Calm down! Let’s change the subject…

Alex: Wait…how exactly did we break up?

Lisa: I don’t know! But I am glad you did!

(Aisha rolls her eyes)

Jonas: Well…I remember that exactly after you returned in 2009…you broke up!

Aisha: But why?

Lisa: Isn’t it obvious? I must be with Jonas eventually!

Aisha: Whatever!

Jonas: I think you just accepted this future! Aisha suggested you break up and you agreed!

Alexandros: Sounds weird!

Lisa: Not to me! Now if you excuse me I’ve got to use the restroom.

Aisha: Take your time!

(Lisa leaves the stage)

Jonas: So! Tell me! In which part of my life are you now?

Alexandros: Our life you mean!

Jonas: Oh yeah right! So?

Alexandros: It is June right now…exams period! I’m taking my history exam in two days! By the way, do you remember the subjects? I have only read…

Jonas: You have only read Civil War 2! I know! Of course it is not in! You haven’t studied 200 pages at least!

Alexandros: Damn it!

Jonas: I know! I remember I wanted to finish this game in play station! I couldn’t read anything!

Alexandros: Tell me about it! Do I ever get to finish this game?

Jonas: You’ll get bored of it after a bit!

Aisha: Too bad! I liked this game too!

Alexandros: What about my exams? I’ll pass…right?

Jonas: Don’t worry! You will! And with a really good grade actually!

Alexandros: Cool!

Aisha: What about me? Do you remember anything?

Jonas: We weren’t together then but I remember you had the best grade in the whole class!

Aisha: No way! Really?

Jonas: Yes! And well done to you! We weren’t talking then because of the break up so I never had the chance to say bravo!

Aisha: Wow! Thanks!

(Lisa comes into the room)

Lisa: Still here? Would you like something to drink? I am so rude!

Alexandros: No! We’re fine! Thanks anyway!

Aisha: How can we leave really?

Jonas: It is easy! The only thing to do is close your eyes and wish to get back in 2009!

Lisa: Finally! It was about time!

Aisha: Wow! This is the first time we agree!

Lisa: And the last I suppose!

Jonas: Yeah…any last words?

Alexandros: Just one thing! Dude… you really should change your clothes!

(Jonas looks at himself strangely)

Aisha: Honestly!!!

Alexandros: Anyway! See you in the future myself! You too Lisa I guess!

Aisha: Or not!

(Aisha and Alexandros stand in the middle of the stage and they close their eyes. The lights are off and in the next scene the two kids are in Alexandros’ room, they lie on the floor.)

Alexandros: Home sweet home!

Aisha: Well! That was fun!

Alexandros: Haha! Yeah!

Aisha: It is still early! What about going to cinema? There is a really cool movie on!

Alexandros: …Wait… (Confused)

Aisha: What’s wrong?

Alexandros: According to Jonas you are supposed to break up with me now…

Aisha: Yeah… I know! But I don’t want to! Do you?

Alex: No! Of course not! But what made you change your mind?

Aisha: You know, I thought that we might be able to change the future …just because he said we'd broke up…it doesn’t mean we absolutely have to!

Alexandros: Your know what? You’re right! I am not gonna let this crazy event change my life!

Aisha: That’s right!

Alexandros: Aisha?

Aisha: Yeah?

Alexandros: Thanks…

Aisha: Come on! I couldn’t let you make up with Lisa! In case you haven’t noticed I didn’t really like her!

Alexandros: Yeah! Haha! I noticed!

Aisha: So cinema?

Alexandros: Cinema it is!

(They both leave the stage holding hands)

Narrator: Alex and Aisha stayed together and actually got married! Alex managed to finish his game in play station with a bit of help from Aisha!


(After their graduation, Aisha studied drama where she became a famous actress and Alexandros studied direction where he wrote and directed all of Aisha’s movies! Alexandros, as an artist is best known with the nickname Jonas! Uncle Mark did leave him his apartment and this is where they decided to live!

Finally, this story shows us that no matter who we are or where we live, we can always define our future with our own decisions!)



Written by Natalia Zikou of the A1 class of the 8th General Lyceum of Ioannina

No comments: