Wednesday, March 12, 2008

MY SCHOOL YEARS

MY SCHOOL YEARS

Characters:
Samanta (the twelfth form student)
The teacher


Scene 1

It‘s dark on the stage only the lighted up spot where two desks are and two chairs and the teacher is sitting. The music is playing silently.Suddenly a girl comes from the other corner lighted up with the lamp.Two lights come together.

The teacher:

Hello, dear. How are you today? Why are you so worried? Don‘t forget our last school celebration ‚The Last Bell‘ is coming. You know we need to plan it.Take a seat and let‘s do it now.

Samanta:

Hello teacher. You know the period of exams is coming.I have so much to do and there is no time left. And there are a lot of parties ,a lot of invitations from my friends. So I must be in a hurry and do everything in time. I think ‚The Last Bell‘ will be the last celebration for me at this school. And that will be sad...

The teacher:

I know you are always in a hurry and doing a lot of work at our school and always succeed to do in time.Don‘t worry, dear Samanta, you will do everything in time. Remember your primary classes you had a lot of parties at school and no worries at that time.

Samanta:

Oh, yes, of course, that was a good time... No worries about studies, a lot of friends around and a lot of free time. I remember my primary class teacher Lina. We used to go on excursions all around Lithuania. Everybody liked them so much. But with the years I became more mature and started thinking about my studies and about my future. But inspite of studying a lot I was always
Involved in school Council activities, helped to organize different parties at our school and so on.... But I like it ,you know.

The teacher:

Oh , yes, I remember all our school and class parties, they were so interesting and funny. I was laughing a lot when you played at our class parties especially with Ieva.


Samanta:

The most interesting and impressive were our Christmas parties since the 7th form.I remember our
Christmas party when we were making parodies about different TV programmes. We had some guests and our parents were present.

The teacher:

-Samanta, I know that you are very busy... so how do you prepare for exams when you are so busy?
You need to prepare and to cope with stress.

Samanta:

-Well... actually I study really hard at home... I read a lot of books at home. I pay a lot of attention to History, English and Lithuanian languages, and of course Mathematics. And I am going to take exams on these subjects.
Oh... And do you know the easiest way to learn History? It‘s just to remember subjects. I learn and do some quizzes... So that‘s why I often do quizzes when I‘m alone at home, they help me to remember what I‘ve studied... And it‘s really a perfect way of studying... But on some subjects this method will not help, for example like learning English, you can only learn grammar from English quizzes, but you can‘t learn to talk English ...For this reason I watch English films or listen to english songs and sing together .You know I like singing... I am nervous about my English credit, it will be in ten days...I need to think about all the topics and train my tongue in speaking English. What do you think, will I succeed in taking my English credit?

The teacher: (laughs)

I think...yes, but don‘t know your mark. It will depend on you and your preparation.

Samanta:

Oh yes, of course, I study hard. Actually there was time when it was so difficult for me to study after... that terrible car accident when my sister and me were in hospital for a long time. I was in coma for a day.That was a terrible weekend in Palanga. We nearly died. In fact I couldn‘t remember anything what happened...just a second..and your life seems comes to the end. A weekend which turned to long months of pain and suffering....I think you must remember that time you came to visit me at the hospital and almost all my classmates came to visit me then. They were so friendly.
After that accidents it was really difficult to study, because I missed a lot of classes. So i had to study at home ..yes really hard...But now everything is OK, because I caught up with my classmates in studies and I started singing and dancing and acting as you see....(smiles)

The teacher:

-Oh, yes really? So that was really difficult period of your life. I remember that time again with pain, and you having terrible headache, and taking lots of medicine. All our class was missing you. Yes… but you survived. That’s great! And you wanted to dance so much. Do you remember that Halloween party. We had to go to other school with Egle and Ieva ? And you started dancing again though it was forbidden after that accident. I couldn’t watch that without pain.You wanted to dance so much.

The lights come down and then light up Samanta and she tries to dance. The music plays.


Scene 2

The teacher:

I see you dance very well. So can you tell me what is your favourite lesson now? And what do you think about your teachers when you are leaving your school? You are going to make speech at your Last Bell celebration. Let’s plan something..

Samanta:

- My favourite lesson is Music...because I really like singing and dancing. I have been dancing for a long time, and I think that dancing is something special...Oh yes and at our school the teachers are very good, they are qualified and always try to help us to prepare for life...they help us with what we don‘t understand and tell us what we want to know...So I just love my teachers they are like second family for me and I am so grateful for them because they taught me so many interesting things...and ..to understand life better...

The teacher:

I know it‘s your last year at school and in two months you will have your national exams.What are you going to do after finishing your school? Are you going to study anywhere? Would you like to stay at school or maybe become a teacher? (smiles)

Samanta:

Oh yes..Absolutely...I really want to stay longer now...because I had a lot of fun at school. Sure there is time when kids don‘t want to go to school, and even don‘t want to study and do their homework, but if you try you can have a really good time at school, and you can even have so much fun, that you would like to stay at school longer and don‘t want to go home...after your lessons.
It‘s a pity that this is my last year at school and I think I will really miss my teachers and my classmates and our plays of course.I met a lot of interesting people and made new friends, so i will miss them all, but i hope that evenwhen we will no longer be classmates we will meet each other.. because I really like my school and friends in it..(talks sadly)

The teacher:

That‘s so nice. And tell me what you like most at your school?

Samanta:

It‘s everything..(laughs)...My school is just wonderful, everyone in it knows each other quite well and when you walk along the corridor or in the hall you can see that all of them are your friends, because you can hear everybody saying ‚‘Hello‘ to each other...
Oh.. and I just love our school. I have been studying here for 12 years.
Especially I liked our Christmas parties...Every year we had a lot of interesting festivals and usually I was the one to write scrips for them and to play, and to dance.Our Christmas festivals were really wonderful each year we had one in our school and in the evenings in our class.We‘ve done so many interesting and funny plays that even now when I remember them I start smiling.

The teacher:

-Oh yes I liked them too.Was laughing a lot when our group was playing ‚Cinderella‘.Arnoldas was great stepmother and you remember playing that sister?

Samanta:

Oh yes, shouting at poor Cinderella „Oh , you, dirty thing, can you bring me my dress quickly..
Do this and do that...

The teacher:

And... when you organized Christmas Eve in the class with all children playing and singing like different actors.Yes our class was the best class at our school that year...Ieva ,Simona Deimante and you were good team... Wonderful menories. I will miss my class too.We have spent together eight years, when I became your classmaster.And your last Christmas play was ‚The Snow White‘Did you like it?

Samanta:

Of course, I liked it. I was playing an angry stepmother you remember(laughs).But actually
I liked being a stepmother...And I really liked asking the mirror:
‚Mirror,mirror on the wall, tell me who‘s the pretiest of all?‘
It‘s so nice to remember everything now, because the memories are so wonderful.. and I will
remember them all my life...I think so..

The teacher:

I was so sorry I couldn‘t help you at our ‚100 Days celebration‘ this year, because of my flue. But you were wonderful as usual and you did everything well.

Samanta:

Oh yes we had some troubles when the last evening you called us and told you were ill.But we are grown up people now and we know how to do everything ourselves...

The teacher:

I know you grew up and you don‘t need your teachers to teach you all the time (laughs) but maybe sometimes.... So it seems you really like your school and it wasn‘t so bad to study here..Ok let‘s go and prepare for our last festival ‚The Last Bell‘.what song could we sing there maybe ‚Imagine‘.
Remember we sang it at the contest eight years ago.

They stand up together and with the sounds of the song they leave the stage.
The lights go down.


Written by
Kristina Garmute 10th class, Samanta Guleviciute 12th class, Egle Zerinaite 12th class
and Urte Puzaite 8th class
of Kaunas Radvilenai Secondary School-Lithuania

No comments: