Monday, January 14, 2008

Home is the most beautiful place!

Home is the most beautiful place!


Characters: Tiffany, Helena, Scott, Hartmut, a man


Scene one:


Tiffany comes home. She has written an F in her English test. Her mother is in the kitchen and is cooking dinner. Tiffany bangs the test on the table.

TIFFANY: Here my shitty English test! I have an F!!! FUCK!!!

HELENA: Can you speak normally with me? I´m not your friend from the streets!!!

TIFFANY: Sorry, but I think I must repeat Year 9 and I don´t want to lose my friends! But I don´t want to study harder because studying sucks!

HELENA: That´s not my problem! It’s not my life , but if you don´t learn you will lose your friends.

TIFFANY: I’m not interested in your boring talk.

HELENA: Don’t be stupid and now go to your room, too. I can’t stand seeing you anymore!!!

TIFFANY: Yes, with pleasure.

Tiffany runs into her room and she turns on the music LOUDLY.
Helena is angry and cuts the cable.


The father Scott comes home. And Helena tells him what happened.

HELENA: Tiffany has another F in the English test.

SCOTT: WHAT???

HELENA: Yes , and we had a dispute. Then she went to her room and turned on the music. I was very angry and cut the cable. Now she is very angry with me.

SCOTT: Oh, I think that she must change the school.

HELENA: (shouts) WE CAN EAT!!!

TIFFANY: (shouts) I´m not hungry!

SCOTT: (shouts) You come and eat. We are a family and we eat together like every other family!
Tiffany comes and sits down on the chair.

SCOTT: I´ve heard that you have an F in the English-Test.

TIFFANY: Yes.

SCOTT: Did you learn for the test?

TIFFANY: Yes, a little bit, but I didn´t understand the topic.

SCOTT: And why didn’t you ask me or mum?

TIFFANY: You also can´t help me.

HELENA: We’re not as silly as you think.

TIFFANY: Sorry but I thought so.

SCOTT: Sorry but I think you must leave your school and go to another school in the west of the city.

TIFFANY: WHAT??? I won’t leave the school! I would lose all my friends!

SCOTT: It’s too late!

Tiffany begins to cry and runs to her room.




Scene 2:

She doesn’t want to leave her school and lose all her friends so during the night she gets up and packs her bag. Before she goes, she speaks with her budgie Stanley.

TIFFANY: Sorry Stanley but I can’t stay here any longer because I don’t want to lose my friends. I hate mum and dad for this. I think I’ll leave home and begin a new life!!!! But where? On the streets? I think I have nowhere else to go, don’t I?

She begins to cry again. Then she takes her bag and goes outside.






Scene 3:


Tiffany is walking around with her bag, looking for a place to stay. She sees a bridge.

TIFFANY: Hello? Is someone here? If so, please answer me.

But no one answers her. There is much trash lying under the bridge. She looks for something to sleep on. She finds an old rug. She finds a right place to lie down.
And then she falls asleep.


The lights go down and up again.

HARTMUT: Hey girl, it’s time to wake up, you must go to school!

Tiffany opens her eyes and sees Hartmut and she is frightened.


HARTMUT: You must not be scared. I’m just Hartmut and I live under the bridge, and you are lying on my bed.

He smiles.

TIFFANY: Oh sorry I didn’t know that it was your bed. But last night I didn’t know where I could sleep and then I saw this place.

Tiffany says it quietly.

HARTMUT: No problem, last night I was in the city and looked for bottles, because I needed money. I’m hungry and so I need money for a little bit of food.

TIFFANY: Oh sorry then I’ll leave you alone and go to look for a new place to live.

HARTMUT: You live on the street? Since when? Tell me your story.

Tiffany deliberates and then she sits down and tells him what happened.

TIFFANY: I had problems at school.

HARTMUT: That’s not a big enough problem to leave your home. I would be happy, if I had a family.

TIFFANY: But I had problems at school and so I had problems at home, too.
They wanted me to I leave my school and lose all my friends.

HARTMUT: But do you want to live alone on the streets? You can live with me under this bridge. Only if you want to.

TIFFANY: Oh thanks, then you’re not alone and I’m not alone, too.

HARTMUT: Great, can you tell me your name?

TIFFANY: Oh yes, of course my name is Tiffany, and you’re Hartmut, aren’t you?

HARTMUT: Oh Tiffany, what a wonderful name. Oh yes and my name is Hartmut .
Can you tell me how long you have lived on the street?

TIFFANY: Since yesterday, and you? And thanks, but I hate my name, and your name is funny.

HARTMUT: I have lived on the street for 2 years. You must hate your name and I must hate my name. Come let’s go and look for food.

TIFFANY: Okay.

They leave together to look for food.






Scene 4:

At Tiffany’s home at the same time.


HELENA: Tiffany, come downstairs, it´s time to eat, and you must go to school.

She waits and waits, but she hears no noise.

HELENA: Scott?? Can you look for Tiffany? She must go to school and hasn’t come down yet.

SCOTT: Okay.

It’s quiet but then…

SCOTT: Helena? Oh my God, Tiffany, she’s not here!!

HELENA: What? Don’t make jokes, that isn’t funny.

SCOTT: Come upstairs and look. She isn’t here and her bed is empty. And its look like no one slept in it last night.

HELENE: I don’t believe you, because Tiffany is not so silly to run away because of school.

SCOTT: Perhaps we were so strict with her. And we didn’t believe in her and that she could learn and write good marks. I’m a bad father. I feel so bad.

HELENA: Don’t cry, Scott. Maybe she will come home today. I hope it. And Scott we’re not bad parents because we care about her and love her so much.

SCOTT : But we haven’t shown it to her and only blamed her.

HELENA: Come off it. When she was a young child we often showed her our feelings.

SCOTT : Yes of course but you know, when she was a young child but not this time.

HELENA: She will come home, I believe it, because she is my daughter.

SCOTT: I know but she’s also my daughter and I know that if my parents were so bad to me I would run way from home, too. And she doesn’t have the same character as you. She is stubborn and so I know that if she comes home, it will be in two days or so.

HELENA: Okay well wait and hope. I think we can’t do more now, but if she doesn’t come home tomorrow we will call the police.

SCOTT: Okay!

Helena begins to cry


HELENA: I miss her so much and I feel like a bad mum …






Scene 5:


Tiffany and Hartmut come back from looking for food.

TIFFANY: Oh that is terrible, why were the people so heartless and didn´t give us a little bit of money for food?

HARTMUT: Because they think we’re only buying alcohol, drugs and cigarettes with the money. You´ll get used to this, and I think they don´t want to help us. I think that they think that we’re scum.

TIFFANY: Oh but I want to buy food, and why do they think that we’re only interested in alcohol, drugs and cigarettes ?

HARTMUT : The people are silly, and you know alcohol always keeps warm in the night.

TIFFANY: Oh that’s why they think that we’re only interested in these things. Are you interested in alcohol , too?

HARTMUT : Not really, but sometimes when I have enough money I drink a little bit. But alcohol isn’t good when it´s cold because you only feel that you’re warm but in fact it’s harmful for your body.

TIFFANY: Oh I think you’re an intelligent boy.

HARTMUT: Oh thank you but I think you’re not so intelligent because you´ve left your home for nothing.

TIFFANY : You left your home, too .

HARTMUT : But I left my home for a good reason.

TIFFANY: What a reason?

HARTMUT: My mum and my dad were heavy drinkers and so I ran away from home because my parents hit me everyday and I couldn´t live there anymore and I didn´t want to go to a children’s home.

TIFFANY: Oh I’m so sorry for you.

HARTMUT: It’s okay.

They eat their meal quietly.




Scene 6:

Five months later. Hartmut has fallen ill. He is lying under a blanket.

TIFFANY: Hartmut? And I really can’t do anything for you ?

HARTMUT : (he coughs) No you really can’t do anything else for me than just looking for food or for some medicine.

TIFFANY: Okay, I will look for food and then I will look for money to buy medicine. Maybe I can go to the hospital .

HARTMUT: No don’t go to the hospital . They only think that you’re a pills addict and then
they want to keep you at the hospital and then I maybe die when you’re at the hospital.

TIFFANY: Okay, if you don´t want me to go to the hospital I won´t go. So I must go now
if you want to have some things to eat and maybe a little bit of medicine.

HARTMUT : Okay, I’ll wait here and take care!!!

TIFFANY : Okay, bye.




Scene 7:

Two hours later Tiffany comes back.

HARTMUT : Hey, have you found anything?

TIFFANY : Yes, something to eat and drink and a little bit of medicine.

HARTMUT: You’ve got so many things?

TIFFANY: Yes and I haven´t stolen anything.

HARTMUT: Why did you get so many things?

TIFFANY: An old woman with a big heart was with me in the supermarket and bought me these things .

HARTMUT : This woman is big hero.

TIFFANY: Yes, she is I talked with her for a long time.

HARTMUT: Good.

They start eating the meal and Hartmut swallows the pills.






Scene 8:

At Tiffany´s home.
A computer is on a table. Helena is sitting in front of the computer.



SCOTT : Hey Helena ,I want to talk with you.

HELENA : What is?

SCOTT : Our landlord has given us notice. We have to leave the flat.

HELENA : WHHHAAAAAAATTTTTT????

SCOTT : It´s true. We must move out.

HELENA : But what if Tiffany comes home and we aren´t here anymore?

SCOTT : I don’t know but we must look for a new flat.

HELENA : I can´t do this.

SCOTT :We must!!!

HELENA: But if we look for a new flat I want to move to another city.

SCOTT: Okay if that’s your wish, we will move to another city.

HELENA : Oh thank you, Scott, that’s why I married you.

SCOTT: Oh and that is why I married you. Have you got an idea of where you want to move?

HELANA: Oh yes I want to move to Liverpool.

SCOTT: Oh that’s a very good idea . I’ll look for flats on the internet.

HELENA : Okay I will look , too.

SCOTT: Okay then let´s go and look.

They look on the internet and soon they find some flats.

SCOTT : Helena look, here is a nice flat.

HELENA : Oh this flat will be perfect for us.

SCOTT : Ok I’ll call the landlord. Maybe we can visit the flat.

HELENA : Oh this would be perfect. Call him!

Scott dials the number.

SCOTT : Hello my Name is Scott Hanks. I´m calling you because I’ve found your flat on the internet. ….




Scene 9 :

Scott and Helena have visited the flat .

HELENA : What do you think of the flat?

SCOTT: I think the flat is good enough for us, and you?

HELENA: The flat is so beautiful.

SCOTT: Okay let’s move in.

HELENA: What about Tiffany?

SCOTT: You know about Tiffany. She won´t come home.

HELENA: She begins to cry I miss her so much!

SCOTT: (He hugs her) Me too.

HELENA : But we must move on, and so I think we must move to the new flat.

SCOTT: Ok I will call the landlady and take the flat.





Scene 10:

Under the bridge. Tiffany takes care of Hartmut, but he is very ill and Tiffany doesn’t know what she can do to help him.

TIFFANY: Oh Hartmut, I don’t know what I can do for you. You must go to the hospital !

HARTMUT : No I don’t go to the hospital, I´d rather die.

TIFFANY : No Hartmut you can’t die …

HARTMUT : Why can’t I die ?

TIFFANY : Because… What about with me?

HARTMUT: I won´t die!!! Okay?

TIFFANY : But if?

HARTMUT : Then you go back to your parents.

TIFFANY : No I can’t go back. I´m afraid of my parents.

HARTMUT: Why?

TIFFANY : Maybe they hate me because I ran away from home .

HARTMUT : No I don’t think so, they love you because you’re their child.

TIFFANY: Oh I think you’re right. But I can’t go home, maybe they will send me back to the street.

HARTMUT: Are you silly? They will be happy when you’re back home.

TIFFANY: Oh Hartmut but you can’t die.

HARTMUT: Right, but everybody must die.

TIFFANY: Hmm Okay, I’m tired come on, let’s sleep.
Scene 11:The next morning.

TIFFANY: Hartmut, wake up, today is a next beautiful morning.

Silence

TIFFANY: Hartmut , wake up now. HARTMUT??

Tiffany shake Hartmut. She wants to hear his heartbeat. But there is no heartbeat.

TIFFANY: she begins to cry. Oh no Hartmut you can’t be dead.


Tiffany wants to go home, because Hartmut told her to.


TIFFANY: Hartmut? I know you’re not here, but I think you can hear me. I´ll go back to my home for you, and for me. I’m sure my parents are happy when I come back, and me, too





Scene 12:


Tiffany goes “ home”. She knocks on the door .

A man comse out .

TIFFANY : Dad?

MAN: No I’m not your dad, I have lived here for 2 weeks.

TIFFANY: But where are my parents ?

MAN: I don’t know


She is disappointed and shocked but then she shows some determination.

TIFFANY: Hartmut, I don’t know where they are but I’ll find them !




by Lisa Harms, Dominik Schupp ,Linda Unverricht ,Olivia Kosciuk

of Städtische Realschule Kastanienallee Velbert-Germany

No comments: