Wednesday, January 23, 2008

“The desk of Rock”


“The desk of Rock”

Persons: Amy, Amy’s mum, Nem, Harris, Chester, Patricia, Javier, Patricia’s friends: some guys, Javier’s mum, the director of the concert

SCENE 1

Amy’s mum: ''Amy, Nem is on the phone!!''

Amy: ''One minute mum, I’m coming!''

Amy’s mum: ''Hurry up, what are you doing? Nem is waiting!''

(Amy picks at least up the phone)

Amy: ''Hey, Nem, what's up?''

Nem: ''What have you been doing all this time?''

Amy: ''Oh, sorry, I was gazing at the stars...''

Nem: ''Oh, yeah, I forgot that you're so loony!! Anyway, I arranged with Harris and Chester to meet at the usual cafeteria at 7 o'clock. Will you come?''

Amy: ''Oh, well...hmmmm. There's a meeting with the other environmentalists today, and I don't really want to miss it...''

Nem: ''You're such a freak! Do you really want to leave your friends, just for those environmentalists you don't even know?''

Amy: ''Ok, I think you persuaded me. Again...''

Nem: ''I knew I would gonna make it!''

Amy: ''Well, I can change my mind!''

Nem: ''You could, but you won't do this, will you?''

Amy: ''Yeah, you’re right... .’’

Nem: ''Ok, I have to leave now, see you later!''

Amy: ''Ok, bye!'




SCENE 2



(At the cafeteria at 7 o' clock)

Harris: ''Hey guys!''

Amy: ''Hi!, Where is Chester?''

Harris: ''He just went to buy cigarettes...''

Nem: ''Is he still making the same mistakes? I thought he had stopped smoking.''

Amy: ''You can't stop these things so easily, Nem.''

Chester: ''Hey, what's up?''

Harris: ''We were just talking about you. Don't you think it's time for you to stop smoking, man?''

Chester: ''Stop pretending to be my mum! Mike, don't do that, stop this, look at this stuffy room!! The same things all the time! I'm bored!''

Nem: ''Ok, calm down Mike, don't flare up!''

Amy: ''Where is Patricia?''

Harris: ''I thought you already knew how she behaves. She's always late and then tries to justify herself.''

Chester: ''Ah, there she is!''

Harris: ''Hi Patricia, where were you?''

Patricia: ''Hi guys, you won't believe what happened to me!!''

Nem: ''Oh, the same things again...''
(All the others laughing)

Chester: ''Well, then tell us what happened.''

Patricia: ''Firstly I had an argument with my parents. They always exaggerate for stupid things. Then I missed the bus, and it took me too long to find a taxi. And this stupid taxi driver wanted to flirt with me.''

Nem(whispering to the others): ''She exaggerates again.''

Nem: ''And what happened next..?''

Patricia: ''That was it!! Do you want more. I think it's enough for today.''

Amy: ''Ok, after a small break with Patricia’s stories, we can continue. Harris, what's going on with you in the last weeks, we haven’t seen you for ages!''

Nem: ''Yeah, you are always so busy. What have you been doing all this time?''

Chester: ''I'm sure he has found a girlfriend and has forgotten all about us now.''

Nem: ''Oh, crazy boy!''

Amy: ''I don't think so... something else is going on... Otherwise he would have told us, wouldn't you, Harris?''

Harris: ''Well,... hmmm...''

Patricia: ''Well and hmmm, what stupid things are these? Tell us now what's going on with you!''

Harris: ''I have some problems, but this is not your business!''

Patricia: '' This is not our business? What are talking about? I thought we were friends and we don't have any secrets!''

Amy: ''Yeah, if you have problems we will always be there for you.''

Harris: ''Well, I work...''
(Everybody laughing)

Chester: ''You are working? You, the laziest person on earth?''

Harris: ''I am not rich like you! I don't take daddy's money!''

Nem: ''Guys, guys, stop it! Let him speak.''

Harris: ''Well...''

Patricia: ''Yeah...?''

Harris: ''My brother is taking drugs...''
(Everybody stopped talking)

Harris: ''We don't have enough money to help him, and therefore I have to work too.''

Amy: ''Oh my God! How long does he take drugs?''

Harris: ''For about one year.''

Patricia: ''How did you find out?''

Harris: ''He started spending time with some guys, and since then his behaviour has been very strange. He always comes home late at night, he spends a lot of money, and he has stopped eating.''

Nem: ''What do your parents say about that?''

Harris: ''They feel very disappointed and they think it's their fault that they haven't brought him up as they should have. And now they are worried about me, because they think I will be influenced.''

Chester: ''Sorry, man, I didn't know... I can give you and your family money if you need.''

Nem: ''And we will also help you, just ask, don't hesitate!''

Harris: ''Thank you, guys, you are real friends!''

Amy: ''I just had a great idea! I read in a leaflet from Greenpeace, that they are looking for some people to clean up the forest two days a week.''

Nem: ''Oh, Holy Lord, let it rain hammers!''

Chester: ''Why, will it be necessary for Amy’s job?''

Nem: ''No, just to fall down on her head and break it!! She should stop saying stupid things!''

Amy: ''Thanks a lot, Nem!''

Nem: ''You're welcome!''

Patricia: ''How will Greenpeace pay us for this job? In Greenpeace there are only volunteers, they don't get paid for what they do.''

Amy: '' Actually, it's a project from the government, helping Greenpeace in that way by calling attention to the environment. And just imagine, doing this job, we will make two good actions: On the one hand we will help Harris, and on the other hand we will help the environment. Isn't it great?''

Chester: ''Amy, is that you? It's the first time you said something good!''

Amy (ironically): ''Oh, guys, you're so nice to me! Well, what do you think?''

Nem: ''It's ok... When does this project start?''

Patricia: ''Harris, what do you think?''

Harris: ''It sounds good to me...''

Amy: ''This programme starts in two days and if we want to do that we have to go and join before somebody else takes this job first.''

Patricia: ''Well, you can join this programme, but I don't know if I will have time for this...''

Chester: ''What's so important that you can't leave?''

Patricia: ''Hmmm... I have ballet lessons and so many other things to do in the afternoon, but I can ask my dad to give me some money for Harris.''

Nem: ''I don't think that these things are so important, that you can't leave them for two days a week. Sometimes you behave like my two-year old sister.''

Patricia: ''You know, I am good at ''these things'', as you call them!''

Harris: ''Ok, but I don't want you to change your schedule just because of me.''

Nem: ''In a group, all the members work together, I think Patricia is still a member of this group, aren't you, Patricia?''

Patricia: ''Ok, I’ll make a try.''

Harris: ''Ok, guys, I have to leave now because in a half an hour I have to be at work...''

Amy: ''Ok, let us know about you news''
(Everyone says “bye”, and Harris leaves)

Chester: ''I can't believe he had such a big problem and he hadn't told us!!''

Nem: ''Poor Harris! What else can we do to help him?''

Amy: ''I don't know. Do you think he can get involved?''

Chester: ''I know him very well and I have faith in him. But I think that the situation in his family can hurt him.''

Amy: ''Why don't you invite him to stay at your home?''

Chester: ''I would, but I don't think he would accept it. I'm sure he will want to be close to his brother.''

Nem: ''I could never imagine that someone of us would have such a big problem. I mean, we always see these things on TV and never think about the difficult situation these people are in. It's so scary...''

Patricia: ''I personally think that it's also fault of his parents. Haven't you noticed how strange they behave to the friends of Harris? They always want him to have rich friends, who are also good students. And they are very strict to Harris, and I imagine that they will have the same behaviour with his brother. And by trying show his parents that everyone's worth having friends, he got involved in a wrong group.''

Nem: ''I don't want to imagine the situation at his house right now, that stupid drugs can destroy a family so easily...hm.''

Amy: ''Ok, yeah, you're right, but enough with this stuff it's time for action. I brought these leaflets about the job I told you before...''

Patricia: ''Did you know about Harris problem before us?''

Amy: ''Of course not, but I was sure that you would want to join Greenpeace and help the environment!!''

Nem: ''Harris' problem is the only thing that keeps me far for an assassination at this specific time. Anyway, give us these leaflets to sign....’’

Amy: ''Here, I have exactly one leaflet for everyone. There is also some useful information about our planet. And some tips to save our planet from global warming and climate change. It's so interesting, don't you think?''

Patricia: ''What exactly is global warming?''

Chester: ''Yeah, and what is climate change? Everybody is talking about it, but I don't exactly know what it is...''

Amy: ''Well you silly people, global warming is the increase in the average temperature of the Earth's near-surface air and oceans in recent decades and its projected continuation, and it's caused by human activities which are creating excess greenhouse gases that trap heat in the atmosphere and lead to it.''

Nem: ''And what about climate change?''

Amy: ''It's the variation in the Earth's global climate or in regional climates over time. And for people with low IQ like you it means that we don't have to waste energy aimlessly and...-''

Chester: ''Ok, Ok, that’s more than enough information... when do we start working?''

Amy: ''Next week. I just wanted you to go well informed to that job...''

Nem: ''Oh, with all this I forgot to tell you... Last week a boy from Cuba moved into my neighbourhood. He is a little bit strange, but he's a good boy. I feel sometimes very sorry for him, because some stupid guys from my neighbourhood face him with racism.''

Patricia: ''And why that?''

Nem: ''Because he's different... He has a different skin colour, he wears weird clothes and he has different beliefs and wants. But he's a great guy and I like spending time with him. I also invited him here today, because I want you to meet him. Ah, here he already comes!''

Javier: ''Hi!''

Nem: ''Hey Javier! How are you? Don't feel shy, come closer and sit beside me.''

Javier: ''I'm fine thanks.'' (sits down)

Nem: ''Guys, this is Javier, and Javier, these are my friends I told you about, Amy, Chester and Patricia.''
(Everyone says “hi” to Javier)

Amy: ''You have a great pronunciation!''

Javier: ''Yeah, thanks... My mum is from Greece and my father is from Cuba.''

Chester: ''And why did you move to Greece?''

Javier: ''Things are very difficult in Cuba, there's much poverty, and it's hard to find a job. My dad lost his job and my mum's job wasn't really good, so we had to immigrate to Greece...''

Patricia: ''Do you have any brothers or sisters?''

Javier: ''Yes, I have one older brother, but he stayed at Cuba, he didn't want to come to Greece.''

Amy: ''You must miss him very much...''

Javier: ''Yes, we were very close to each other, but we can't change anything now... But we often correspond.''

Chester: ''Do you have any hobbies?''

Javier: ''In Cuba I used to dance latin. I took part in competitions and with the money I won I helped my family.''

Patricia: ''It's so strange to hear that a boy is dances in his free time.''

Javier: ''Maybe, but in Cuba latin is something like the traditional dance and everybody knows how to dance latin.''

Patricia: ''I also dance, not latin, but ballet. If you have any free time you could teach me latin.''

Chester (whispering to Javier): ''I'm sure that she likes you.''

Amy: ''Are you working now?''

Javier: ''Well, I’m looking for a job at the time''

Amy: ''Next week we are going to start a job to help the environment and a friend of us whose brother takes drugs.''

Javier: ''In Cuba we have also a big problem with drugs... Most people become drug dealers, because that brings them a lot of money.''

Amy: ''Do you want to join this environmental programme?''

Javier: ''Yeah thanks, I think it's a good idea!''

Nem: ''Great, I won't have to be alone with so many environmentalist freaks...''
(Everybody's laughing)

Javier: ''Did anybody of you see this documentary on the TV yesterday evening?''

Amy: ''Which one?''

Javier: ''The one about the most beautiful sights of Greece.''

Chester: ''Yeah, I saw it.''

Amy: ''Me too! Isn't it really sad how these wonderful sights get destroyed by us human, because we are so careless?''

Nem: ''Well, that's the point where I really have to agree with you, Amy. Sometimes we, Greeks, just aren't concerned enough about our country. I really hate people, who, for example, throw their rubbish on the street, with the excuse that it's not their street which they make dirty, and then say that it's the fault of the state, and that there should be bins on every corner.''

Chester: ''Wow, I never thought I would hear such things from you! You are absolutely right!''

Amy: ''Yes, everything you said was right I think, but it is not always that kind of carelessness. Acid rain is another reason why the marbles of the Parthenon for example are resolving.''

Javier: ''I've heard that word before, I think, but I don't remember what it is...''

Chester: ''This time I can explain you too what the phenomenon called acid rain is... We learned it last year in chemistry I think...''

Amy: ''Oh, that's cool Chester! You really astonish me!''

Chester: ''So, listen, king Chester is going to explain you.''

Nem: ''Shut up!!!''

Chester: ''I'm gonna kill you later. Well, my friend Javier, listen. Acid rain occurs when polluting gasses become trapped in clouds that drift for hundreds, even thousands, of miles and are finally released as acidic precipitation. Trees, lakes, animals, and even buildings are vulnerable to the slow corrosive effects of acid rain, whose damaging components are emitted by power plants and factories burning low grades of coal and oil.''

Amy: ''I just fall in love with you. I can see another environmentalist in our group. But you have to stop smoking because it pollutes the air.''

Chester: ''bla bla bla...''

Javier: ''You’re so funny guys''

Nem: ''Oh, I forgot. In about a month we have the concert I hope you haven't forgotten it. We have to start rehearsaling.''

Javier: ''What concert?''

Amy: ''Oh didn't Nem tell about our band? Doesn’t surprise me... Well we have a band. Nem is the singer, Chester plays the guitar, Harris plays the drums, and I'm the bassist.''

Javier: ''Who is Harris?''

Chester: ''Harris is the friend we told you before whose brother is addicted to drugs. He left a few minutes before you came.''

Javier: ''What's the name of the band?''

Nem: ''The Desk of Rock.''

Amy: ''We wanted to call it ‘the green environmentalists’, but Nem was against.''

Nem: ''It's the worst name I’ve ever heard for a rock band.''

Amy: ''Of course it's not. Through our music we have to motivate people to care about the environment and the name is very important for that.''

Nem: ''Oh, shut up I can't hear the same fibs twice. So we have to find a place for our rehearsal.''

Chester: ''We can go to my house. My parents are away all the time so no one will disturb us.''

Nem: ''Oh, great. Can we start tomorrow?''

Chester: ''Ok, there’s no problem.''

Javier: ''Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeellooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!! Patricia where are you?? What are you thinking about so seriously?''

Patricia: ''Oh, I’m sorry, but you start talking about the band and I was daydreaming.''

Javier: ''Aren't you a member of the band?''

Patricia: ''Of course I am! I'm the leader and without me the band would be nothing.''

Nem: ''Oh, thank you, big goddess Patricia, you are the best. I wonder when you will stop pretending to be fabulous.''

Patricia: ''I'll just ignore you. So, I have to start looking for clothes.''

Amy: ''Ok, but you don't need to pay so much attention to that kind of useless things. The whole point is the feeling.''

Chester: ''Oh, don't start again.''

Amy: ''You are ordinary people and you just can't understand me.''

Javier: ''I won't miss that concert.''

Patricia: ''It will be great, that's a promise.''

Javier: ''How many times have you played in a concert?''

Nem: ''I think 3 times. We used to play at a bar, but we had an argument with the boss of the bar and we stopped playing there.''

Amy: ''I just had a great idea!! With the money of the concert we can help Haris.''

Chester: ''Yesssss! That’s a good idea. Therefore we have to be very good at the concert.''

Nem: ''Javier do you want to come to our rehearsal tomorrow? We want to have fans.''

Javier: ''Yes, sure! I'll definitely come.''

Patricia: ''I can come to collect you if you tell me where you live.''

Javier: ''Thanks! My house is exactly beside Nem's.''

Patricia: ''I'll be there at 7:00 o'clock in the afternoon. I have to leave now, because my parents and I are invited to a formal dinner. See you tomorrow...!!Bye bye!!!''
(Everyone says "bye" to Patricia)

Javier: ''She is a strange girl, isn't she?''

Nem: ''Oh why are you saying that? That’s why she fits with Amy so much.''

Amy (ironically): ''Hahaha, you are so funny...''

Javier: ''Your group reminds me of my friends in Cuba... We all were so close to each other.''

Amy: ''You must be missing them so much.''

Javier: ''Yes, but I'm glad I've found you.''

Nem: ''You can become a member of our company if you want.''

Javier: ''Thanks, guys, you are so good to me although we've just meet.''

Amy: ''You are welcome!''

Chester: ''I think it's too late now, it's time to go home...''

Nem: ''Yeah, you're right. You can come with me Javier.''

Javier: ''Ok, fine, thanks.''
(Everybody leaves the cafeteria and goes home)







SCENE 3



(On the road Nem and Javier)

Nem: ''What do you think of my friends?''

Javier: ''They are really nice, very friendly and you can laugh your heart out with them.''

Nem: ''Yes, they are nice and I like spending time with them, they are really reliable and you can always trust them... .’’

Javier: ''Oh, I forgot, my mum asked me to buy some things from the supermarket so I have to go this way. See you tomorrow at the rehearsal. Bye!''

Nem: ''Ok then bye bye!!''
(Nem leaves the stage, Javier is walking alone. Then he sees Patricia with some other guys on the way to the supermarket.)
(While Patricia was speaking Javier overheard)


Patricia: ''Oh I can't believe it!''

Some of the guys Patricia is with: ''What?''

Patricia: ''They want me to work two days a week as a cleaner in the forest.''

The guy: ''And why's that?''

Patricia: ''Because we have to help a friend whose brother takes drugs. Ok, I want to help, but not in this way. I could for example offer him some money. But instead of this I have to do some stupid job and because of that I have to change my weekly programme.''

The guy: ''What excuse did you use to leave this time?''

Patricia: ''I told them that my parents and I where invited at a formal dinner..!''

The guy: ''You are such a liar!''

Patricia: ''I couldn't stay there and hear everyone’s fibs! Amy and her environmental stuff... So boring!''

(Javier leaves without buying the things for his mum. After ten minutes he arrives at his home).

Javier’s mum: ''Hey Javier how was your day? Oh, didn't you buy the things I told you?''

Javier: ''Sorry mum, I forgot! It was really nice. Nems friends were really friendly and we talked about lots of things.''

Javier’s mum: ''If you had such a great time why do you look so upset?''

Javier: ''I just saw something and didn't like it at all.''

Javier’s mum: ''What?''

Javier: ''I just saw a girl of Nem's company on the way home who was supposed to be out with her parents. Instead of this she was with some other guys, taking the name of her friends in vain. And now I don't know if it would be a good idea to tell the others about it. They don't know me for a long time, and maybe they don't trust me.''

Javier’s mum: ''I would advise you to tell them. Someday they will find out what kind of person she really is...''

Javier: ''Yeah, maybe that's the right thing for me to do.''

(Javier phones Nem, to tell her everything he overheard)

Nem: ''Hello?''

Javier: ''Hey, Nem, it's me, Javier.''

Nem: ''Oh, hi! What's going on? What did you forget to tell me?''

Javier: ''Nothing. Something weird just happened on the way to the supermarket...''

Nem: ''What?''

Javier: ''Well, I... I saw Patricia with some other guys, talking about you and the others...''

Nem: ''Really? Isn't she supposed to be with her parents? What was she saying about us?''

Javier: ''She told these guys she was bored all these things you do and that she doesn't want to join this environmental programme, and stuff like that...''

Nem: ''How silly, we just do this to help Harris!''

Javier: ''She said that she could offer some money to him.''

Nem: ''She knows that Harris wouldn't accept this. I can't believe all this, how could we have a friend like her. Thank you for telling me that you are a real friend.''

Javier: ''So what are you going to do?''

Nem: ''I'll tell this to the others. And after that I might kill her. Thanks again. See you tomorrow.''

Javier: ''It's ok. Bye!''

(Nem calls the others and tells them about Patricia)







SCENE 4



(Next day at the rehearsal at Chester’s house)

Chester: ''Hey, guys, how are you?''
(Everybody says ‘hello’ to Chester)

Amy: ''Nem, are these things you told us yesterday on the phone about Patricia true?''

Nem: ''Yes, guys. When Javier told me about, it I couldn't believe it.''

Amy: ''It doesn't surprise me at all. What are we going to do when Patricia comes?''

Chester: ''We have to talk to her.''

Nem: ''Ah, Chester did you tell Harris to come?''

Chester: ''Yes, he will come later after work.''

Javier & Patricia: ''Hi!! What's up?''

Nem: ''I'll tell you what's up you furtive girl! What did you do last night? Did you really were with your parents?''

Patricia: ''Of course I was! Why not?''

Nem: ''Because somebody saw you hanging around with some guys saying horrible things about us.''

Amy: ''If you don't want to hang around with us, you really don't have to!!''

Patricia: ''I really don't know what you're talking about...''

Nem: ''Come on Patricia, we all know what you said about us. Stop telling lies. You know, every time you had some excuse because you were late, I'm sure that you were with these guys, called your "secret friends".''

Patricia: ''I'm not gonna sit here and try to persuade you. I'm leaving!''

Nem: ''Oh, my God, you're such a bitch. This is the end of our friendship. You'd better leave before I kill you…''

Patricia (ironically): ''Oh, I’m so afraid.''

Nem: ''You should, believe me.''
(Patricia leaves)

Javier: ''Guys, I feel a little bit strange now.''

Chester: ''You shouldn't. Sooner or later this friendship would end.''

Harris: ''Hey guys what's going on here?''

Chester: ''We just had an argument with Patricia about what I told you yesterday.''

Harris: ''And what happened?''

Amy: ''We put an end to this friendship. Well, guys, enough with all this. Yesterday I had a great idea. With the money from the concert apart from helping Harris also we can buy vaccinations and food for the people in the Third World!''

Harris: ''Very nice idea!''

Nem: ''Javier, do you want to be the leader of our band? Now that Patricia's gone...''

Javier: ''Yes, I'd like to!''

Harris: ''Great! Now I think it's time to start with our rehearsal...''

(Starting the rehearsal with the song zombie (cranberries))

CRANBERRIES

"Zombie"

Another head hangs lowly,
Child is slowly taken.
And the violence caused such silence,
Who are we mistaken?

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...

In your head, in your head,
Zombie, zombie, zombie,
Hey, hey, hey. What's in your head,
In your head,
Zombie, zombie, zombie?
Hey, hey, hey, hey, oh, dou, dou, dou, dou, dou...

Another mother's breakin',
Heart is taking over.
When the violence causes silence,
We must be mistaken.

It's the same old theme since nineteen-sixteen.
In your head, in your head they're still fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are dying...

In your head, in your head,
Zombie, zombie, zombie,
Hey, hey, hey. What's in your head,
In your head,
Zombie, zombie, zombie?
Hey, hey, hey, hey, oh, oh, oh,
Oh, oh, oh, oh, hey, oh, ya, ya-a...)


(The rehearsal finishes)

Amy: ''We were pretty good today!''

Chester: ''If we play like that at the concert, the crowd will be fascinated!''

Harris: ''Yeah!''

Nem: ''What about the clothes we will wear, the lighting at the concert and the whole stuff?''

Chester: ''Me and Harris will go to the place we will have the concert today and adjust all this stuff, won't we Harris?''

Harris: ''Yes of course.''







SCENE 5



(At the concert)

Amy: ''I feel a little bit stressed now, don't you? I mean, look at this crowd there outside!''

Nem: ''Me too, but it's just until we start playing our songs...''

Chester: ''Now we're famous!''

Harris: ''Ok, guys, sing with me, this will help you not to be stressed anymore! Lalala lalaaaaaaaaa...''

Nem: ''Oh, stop, you are injuring my eardrums!!''

Chester: ''Yes, the crowd may hear you and leave!''

Javier: ''Hey! Sorry I'm late... I bought you some chocolate. In my country chocolate gives you positive energy.''

Nem: ''Thanks, I love chocolates!''

The director of the concert: ''Are you ready? In ten minutes you have to start.''

Amy: ''Ok, let's get our instruments. Javier, wish us good luck!''

Harris: ''Ok, let’s make our signal before we get on the stage!''

Everybody: ''The Desk Of Rock!! Yeah!!!''

The director: ''You have only 10 seconds.''

Amy: ''Ok, come on, come on!! We are the best!''

Harris: ''To our friendship!!''

The director: ''3, 2, 1, GO!!''

(The crowd screams)

THE END

Written by Arianna Spyrou and Valentini Toumbari of the A’ class
of the 8th Geniko Lykeio Ioanninon

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

the best play of all!! it's fantastic and i love it! good work guys!

Anonymous said...

its the best play i have ever seen in my whole life.....it combines everyday lafe and special situations and problems.....and the actors reminds me alot,my friend!

Samanta said...

Great performance! :)