Monday, June 2, 2008

My real life

My real life

Characters: Speaker 1, speaker 2, Melina, Evelyn: friends
Scene 1

Speaker 1: Once upon a time there were two little girls.
Speaker 2: They were friends.
SP 1: Best Friends.
SP 2: From nursery school.
SP 1: To primary school.
SP 2: They were together.
SP 1: Every day.
SP 2: But unfortunately their fate had other plans.
SP 1: And they had problems.
SP 2: Big problems.
SP 1: They were very poor and one of them decided to go to another country for a better future.
SP 2: So she and her family travelled to America.
SP 1: Because they had a plan too.
SP 2: They had a rich uncle there who lived alone and wanted to host them.
SP 1: But life is unpredictable.
SP 2: That’s right.
SP 1: Nobody knew what could happen.
SP 2: After six years they decided to come back to Greece.
SP 1: They missed their home.
SP 2: And their friends.
SP 1: So, that’s what happened after all.

Scene 2

(At the cafe)

(Eveline’s mobile phone is ringing)
Eveline: Hello, Melina, is that you? I’m here at the café Mango since you called me to say that you’re coming. You remember the café, don’t you?
(Melina is coming into the café but Melina doesn’t know it)
Melina: Yes. But I can’t see you.
Eveline: Where are you?
Melina: Look behind you.
Eveline: Oh, my God! You’re here. Even now I can’t believe it. When did you arrive?
Melina: This morning.
Eveline: Why didn’t you tell me anything?
Melina: I wanted to surprise you.
Eveline: And you did it.
Melina: Well I’ll get some coffee. (She goes) (She comes back)
Eveline: I feel strange, I almost didn’t recognize you.
Melina: Neither do I. I haven’t seen you for six years.
Eveline: I have so much news to tell you.
Melina: Me too. You won’t believe what happened to me. But you look so sad. What’s wrong?
Eveline: All these years you were so far from us I made some wrong choices but now I’m fine.
Melina: What happened? I want you to tell me everything good or bad.
Eveline: I think you should talk to me first.
Melina: Ok, I have so much news!
Eveline: Like what?
Melina: Do you remember, I told you I had a rich uncle in America?
Eveline: Yes, what happened to him?
Melina: His son told us that he had died a week before we got there.
Eveline: What? Then you didn’t have a place to stay!
Melina: Well, at first I thought everything was over for me. We didn’t have money, we didn’t know what to do.
Eveline: And why didn’t you come here earlier? You could live better even here. I could help you.
Melina: That was what we were planning to do but after two days David, my uncle’s son told us that his lawyer asked to talk to me and my mother.
Eveline: What did he want?
Melina: He showed us my uncle’s will… And the heirs were me, my mother and David.
Eveline: Wow, he was very rich. You must be rich too now!
Melina: Yes ,I am, but before that I lived with my mother in a small flat and we didn’t have money to buy what we needed to survive.
Eveline: At least you had a place to be safe. In America there are really dangerous areas.
Melina: I know I was afraid of everything. Even my home.
Eveline: I understand you.
Melina: I was thinking all the time that I missed my home and my friends.
Eveline: Did you have any friends there?
Melina: At first, no, when I changed my home I had some new neighbours. And they were rich, and I became one of them easily.
Eveline: You haven’t told me. How is life when you are a rich young heiress? (Laughing)
Melina: Hey I mean it, don’t you believe me? I have some photos from my new house. Look!
(They both are looking at some pictures)
Eveline: Wow, like what we know from the movies! You are so lucky! And how was life there?
Melina: I had everything I wanted and I really enjoyed this.
Eveline: How strange you decided to come here. You had everything there!
Melina: That’s true but I told you only the good side of this.
Eveline: What do you mean? Is there a bad side too?
Melina: Yes. But I don’t know. Do you really want to hear it?
Eveline: Why are you asking me, I am your best friend I want to know your problems to help you.
Melina: I’m afraid you can’t.
Eveline: Come on tell me what happened to you!
Melina: Well, not to me, actually.
Eveline: Which means that…?
Melina: David…
Eveline: Your uncle’s son?
Melina: Yes. He was almost the same age as us.
Eveline: What do you mean he “was”? Is he dead now?
Melina: No! ! ! He is alive. And he lived in the same house with us.
Eveline: And his mother?
Melina: She died when David was eleven years old.
Eveline: I’m sorry.
Melina: He is a good guy. We became friends.
Eveline: And..?
Melina: I could tell him every secret I had and he did the same.
Eveline: So, what happened to him?
Melina: He, he had an accident with his car.
Eveline: Is he all right?
Melina: No, he is not. He injured his head then we thought he ‘s ok but the doctors said that he would be paralyzed all his life.
Eveline: Poor David. I’m so sorry! Where is he now?
Melina: He is with my mother at our house he has no one else to care about him. I had no one else only my mother and him.
Eveline: But you had friends.
Melina: No, I didn’t, American children didn’t want to have friends from Greece.
Eveline: So you had David.
Melina: At first. After two years I started making new friends like Violet. She was an actress.
Eveline: You had a friend, who was a star?
Melina: Almost. She is a really good girl, but she’s not a star.
Eveline: Other friends?
Melina: Just another friend. Lita.
Eveline: So you had a friend…
Melina: Yes, Lita was a poor girl not like Violet, but Lita’s father is a book publisher.
Eveline: I guess you don’t want to hear about me now!
Melina: I want, but I can’t imagine what could happen to you here!
Eveline: Look, I don’t feel comfortable talking about this.
Melina: Hey. You are speaking to me now. I want to know your problems as you said before.
Eveline: Well, when you left for America I was alone , I didn’t have any friends except you.
Melina: I’m sorry I couldn’t stay here anymore. I just …
Eveline: No it’s not your fault. Just the other children didn’t want to be my friends , the only children who wanted me were these guys from high school.
Melina: I can’t believe you, these guys were dangerous.
Eveline: I know I know. I just wanted to be a member of a group to have friends, I couldn’t imagine what could happen next.
Melina: Tell me everything. What have you done?
Eveline: Well I suppose I’m not proud of this.
Eveline: Ok, as I told you before I got some new friends so I started doing things they used to do. Melina: Like what?
Eveline: In the beginning I started going out and I come home late at night.
Melina: And what about your parents? They always had the perfect daughter.
Eveline: I didn’t want to hurt them but I did it. We used to fight every night until I left home.
Melina: What are you talking about? You left your own home? Where do you live now?
Eveline: I came back to my parents’ home a year ago after all.
Melina: What else? I thought the fact that you left your home was bad enough for you.
Eveline: I did things which were worst than this!
Melina: You are scaring me!
Eveline: Sorry, I was scared too.
Melina: Tell me what happened next.
Eveline: Well I started drinking alcohol.
Melina: You? I can’t believe you did it. You hated drinking.
Eveline: I hated smoking too, but I started it.
Melina: You did not! How could you do this?
Eveline: I just wanted to be like the other people of the group Mike, Tim, Linda, Malvin and Sam most of all.
Melina: Hey, you liked him.
Eveline: Perhaps, he seemed to be so different. He was the leader of the young group which I wanted to join
Melina: But you knew , you shouldn’t.
Eveline: I was just 13. I could easily follow them and do what they used to do.
Melina: I don’t even want to imagine the rest.
Eveline: Neither do I, now.
Melina: I hope so.
Eveline: I started going to new places. We used to go there with the guys.
I became a member soon. I can say we really had fun. We did everything I wanted to do and I couldn’t. We had no limits.
Melina: No limits? I can imagine the results.
Eveline: You can imagine nothing. Nothing as I couldn’t. But now I know.
Melina: I’m sorry, I thought…
Eveline: I mean, I wanted to live my life as I wanted, and I didn’t want anyone to tell me what’s right and what’s wrong. I wanted to be free.
Melina: And you were free with them?
Eveline: At least that’s what I am feeling.
Melina: But you did what they told you to do!
Eveline: I know it now.
Melina: I guess this is the happy end?
Eveline: Actually I wish it was but it’s not. I haven’t told you everything yet.
Melina: Is there something else?
Eveline: I started taking drugs.
Melina: Are you mad, what were you thinking of? I can’t believe I’m speaking with you. You’re not Eveline I used to know .
Eveline: You said you wanted to hear me.
Melina: I want! Well… when I saw you I noticed that you skin is pale and you really looked so thin but I didn’t want to tell you this, I couldn’t imagine.
Eveline: So many guys here do the same things.
Melina: Because they are stupid.
Eveline: Oh, thank you.
Melina: I didn’t mean you.
Eveline: At first I was ok but after a short time I became addicted
Melina: What? I suppose you did everything Sam told you to do?
Eveline: No I just had fun and finally I had friends, why should I change it?
Melina: I don’t know, when I left Greece at the age of 10 I couldn’t imagine you would start destroying yourself. It’s my fault I wish I hadn’t left.
Eveline: It’s ok, everything is under control now, but I should tell you I went to a clinic.
Melina: That was the best thing you had to do.
Eveline: I thank my parents every day. I would have been dead now without them.
Melina: Don’t worry, I’ll be there for you now. Nothing bad will happen again.
Eveline: Thank you. Thank God you’re here now, I’ve missed you so much. But you didn’t tell me what happened to David next.
Melina: David, oh he is paralyzed as I told you. He is in America in my house.
Eveline: Can he change it now? Maybe if he finds better treatment in another country…
Melina: Well, we don’t know. I don’t think so…
Eveline: But he is rich, isn’t he? He can do the best.
Melina: Yes, his parents had a lot of money. I suppose he did everything he could.
Eveline: Maybe we can help him.
Melina: I don’t think we can. It’s not a matter of money.
Eveline: I thought when you have money you can do anything. I guess it’s wrong.
Melina: My mobile phone is ringing. It’s David!
David , I was thinking of you know. What? I can’t hear you, what?
Sorry… (She’s getting out of the café)
(After a minute she comes back.)
Eveline: What happened? What did he say?
Melina: Good news!
Eveline: Tell me!
Melina: A doctor in America told him that if he sees a doctor in Australia he might walk again! Well the operation is very expensive, but it’s ok. I hope he will be fine.
Eveline: So after all we’re back here at our old neighborhood together again.
Melina: Friends for ever.
Eveline: Promise me you won’t leave again.
Melina: Well, I have to go to see David after the operation.
Eveline: Oh except that.
Melina: OK , I promise , well finish high school together.
Eveline: You’re absolutely right.
Melina: I’m always absolutely right!
(They’re laughing)

Scene 3

Speaker 1: As you see Melina has returned to her country.
Speaker 2: And her friends.
Speaker 1: But things are different now.
Speaker 2: Her best friend became a junky.
Speaker 1: And she could almost have died.
Speaker 2: But everything is under control now.
Speaker 1: Best friends got together again.
Speaker 2: As in the past.
Speaker 1: They have fun together now.
Speaker 2: Shopping, Cinema, out for coffee.
Speaker 1: They are free!!
Speaker 2: Their dream is to become a good doctor each.
Speaker 1: Melina wants to help other people like David.
Speaker 2: And Eveline wants to help people involved in drugs.
Speaker 1: Drug addicts.
Speaker 2: We’re talking about junkies now.
Speaker 1: Sam is ill.
Speaker 2: He is in hospital to stay away from drugs.
Speaker 1: Violet is a star now at music and acting.
Speaker 2: Even she’s only 20 she is a candidate for an Oscar.
Speaker 1: And the gang group?
Speaker 2: Each one is living his life alone now.
Speaker 1: But real friends are there when you need them.
Speaker 2: Like the two girls.
Speaker 1: Melina is very happy she saw her friend and her neighbours again.
Speaker 2: Home sweet home.
Speaker 1: She doesn’t want to leave again, but she promised that she and Eveline would travel around the world for holidays and she did it as she said.
Speaker 2: They went to America to see David.
Speaker 1: David’s operation was successful.
Speaker 2: He can walk now.
Speaker 1: He is a writer.
Speaker 2: He has written 3 books.
Speaker 1: And his first book was the best I think.
Speaker 2: Definitely.
Speaker 1: He wrote it for Melina and their life before and after her life in America.
Speaker 2: With the title.
Speaker 1: “My real life”
Speaker 2: Lita’s father published it.
Speaker 1: After this Lita and her family became rich.
Speaker 2: Because the book was a big success in America and Europe.


THE END
Written by Maria Priska of the 8th Geniko Lykeio Ioanninon-Greece

No comments: