Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Has anybody seen Europe?

“Has anybody seen Europe?”

A scene filled with rubbish… The region of “city’s leftovers” an area where all leftovers of the world are gathered… Ragmen work there so as to make ends meet… So do the heroes of the play… Let’s see, then, what they want to present us without knowing many things about them and the plot of the play…
(At the “city’s leftovers”, Elizabeth and Aishe...)
Aishe -Too much rubbish today, huh?
Liza – Yes, indeed
Aishe – I would like to know where they find so many things and throw them!
Liza – Aaah, what do you think? All those people are like us, who from the dawn until the evening we go from a rubbish bin to another!...
Aishe – Yes, but… Do all people have so much money for all these things and especially nowadays when there are wars?
Liza – Why? When did the wars stop? There have always been wars every time for different reasons. For oil, water…
Aishe – And you, how do you know about the past?
Liza – Aah, Aishe, my dear, when I was little, I used to go to school for a short time however, when my mother was living……. (A little pause) And so I learnt some things.
Aishe – How lucky you are!
(She sits down on a rock)
Liza – Why do you say that?
Aishe – You knew your mother and you went to school, but I…
Liza – But you… What?
Aishe – I never knew my parents. They didn’t love me, didn’t want me… For that reason, they gave me to a miserable orphanage.
Liza – (Stunned) You have never told us that you lived in an orphanage.
Aishe – I know, but, I didn’t want to tell you anything about it
Liza – Why?
Aishe – Because I…
Liza – Because you… what?
Aishe – Because… all the people there shouted at us, beat us and in general… There were wars, both outside and inside, too. For that, I… ran away from there… hoping that I will find a better life.
Liza – (Shaking her head unable to believe all this) Aaaah, this world, today…! Wars come and go! Men, women children babies are killed every day…Aaah, this world doesn’t think of us… even… (Turning to the audience) even these children who survive, even those who escape from their country in order to find a better life here…here for God’s mercy… at the “City’s leftovers”, here where all countries empty leftovers. (A little pause)
Liza – Aaah, poor and foolish world!
Aishe – (She looks at Elizabeth and she doesn’t speak)
Liza – (She turns to Aishe) so, are you sad because you didn’t go to school?
Aishe – Yes
Liza – Don’t worry, I know that school is very important but…. For ages it hasn’t offered the right education. Even when I used to go to school. For that reason, don’t’ worry. Do you know what you should learn nowadays?
Aishe – No. What?
Liza – The sense of your life. This is the most important thing which you should learn. To learn about life and its traps. To think “why did it happen?” and to wonder if life wanted it. This is the most significant thing… but nobody has managed to learn it.
Aishe – What about you?
Liza – A few years ago I thought that I had learnt the sense of my life but now…. I think I was wrong.
Aishe – I don’t understand you.
Liza – It doesn’t matter. Don’t worry…are you any better now?
Aishe – Yes
Liza – Ok. Then, stand up, let’s get on with our work. Let’s go! (Aishe stands up and they continue to work)
(After a short time)
Jonas – Good morning! How are you?
Aishe – Fine.
Liza - Fine and you? Why are you late today? Did you work overtime at the “lying in bed” industry?
Jonas – Ha ha ha…Every day with your jokes! You like teasing me all the time, don’t you?
Liza – That’s it!
Aishe – Why do you look so worried?
Jonas – Because, I want to tell you something important…
Liza and Aishe – What? What is happening?
Jonas – Don’t worry, girls, it isn’t serious.
Liza – Then tell us, what is wrong?
Jonas – Tonight, I had a peculiar dream, a very peculiar dream.
Aishe – What?
Jonas – It was a voice which was telling me continually that today will be a special day not only for me but also for you…
Aishe – Why?
Jonas – Because, we will find something important and of big value…
Aishe – And what is that which we will find?
Jonas – I don’t know but,… it may be a treasure.
Aishe – Ha ha ha…
Jonas – Why are you laughing?
Aishe – And do you believe in dreams?
Jonas – Why not?
Aishe – It’s easy. Look around you. Do you believe that you could ever find a treasure? Here?
Jonas – You never know!
Aishe – (She continues to laugh and she goes away from the scene)
Jonas – And you? Do you believe in dreams?
Liza – Of course I do. For me, dreams are always a warning about something.
Jonas – And if this is impossible to happen? Even then?
Liza – Even then. All dreams are impossible to happen until the moment that they come true. You must have faith!
Jonas – Thank you
Liza – Why?
Jonas – Thank you. (He goes away from the scene; however Liza continues to look inside the pile of the rubbish… Some time later, she finds a baby’s torso and she starts to cry)
(She kneels keeping the baby’s torso in her hands, and she starts to sing……)
Liza – …………….( She is singing an old Greek song)
(A man enters the scene but Liza doesn’t understand him and she continues to sing…… The man doesn’t annoy her)
Liza – …………….( She continues singing)
(The man approaches her and he kneels next to her… Having stopped the song, she turns to him frightened)
Man – How is it that a rag woman has such a great voice?
Liza – It’s because I want to express my pain through singing.
(Pause)
(Liza turns to him, and looks at him straight into his eyes)
Liza – How is it that so well – dressed a man wanders here? In a rubbish place?
Man – It’s because he has to survive, forgetting to change the clothes of the previous job.
Liza – And why do you look for a way to survive here?
Man – Because here is the only place where a fired man could be helped so as to live.
Liza – You, such a charming young man, you got fired?
Man – Charm isn’t a qualification which you must have in order to remain in a job.
Liza - …. You’re right.
Man – Can I ask you something?
Liza – Yes, what?
Man – Does your pain have to do with this baby’s torso?
Liza – (Feeling embarrassed, she stands up and doesn’t answer trying to keep her tears)
Man – Sorry I didn’t want to embarrass you…
Liza – No, no… don’t worry… I’m ok… yes, my pain is related to this baby’s torso….
(A little pause)
(She caresses the baby’s torso and turns to the audience)
Liza - … My son was about the same age when he died, when he passed away in my hands…… (She starts to cry and the man takes her in his arms)
Man – It’ ok… It’s ok…..
(Pause)
Liza – (She stop crying in the man’s arms)
Man – Are you ok?
Liza – Yes, but… let’s stop talking about it
Man – ok, ok… Tell me that please! What’s your name?
Liza – Elizabeth
Man – (He wipes her tears which had remained on her face…)
You have a pretty name!
Liza – Thank you. And yours? It will be so charming as you.
Man – My name is Alexandros….
(Jonas returns to the scene)
Jonas – Liza, Liza… (When he sees her with an unknown man, he is jealous… he stays still and he looks at them… he is ready to kill at Alexandros with this gaze…)
Liza – You, come here to introduce you to a friend who will be member of “City’s Leftovers”.
(Jonas approaches)
Alexandros – My name is Alexandros, but you can call me Alex… Nice to meet you! (Alexandros gives him his hand)
Jonas – (Jonas gives his hand, too) Hi!
(Aishe enters the scene)
Aishe – What is going on here? Do you have a meeting without me? (When she approaches and sees Alexandros…) Who are you?
Liza - This is Alex. He is a new member of “City’s Leftovers”.
Aishe – Nice to meet you, my name is Aishe.
Alexandros – Nice to meet you, too, Aishe.
(Jonas glares at Alexandros who hasn’t taken his eyes from Liza)
Aishe – And where are you from? And you are so well – dressed…
Alexandros – I used to work for a big company, but… I had too many qualifications for them and they fired me… and now I am here…
Jonas – Ok, let’s stop it now and begin the work…
Liza – You are right. Let’s go!
(She didn’t have time to complete her phrase and…)
Aishe – Aaaah……
Alexandros – Liza be careful!...
(A terrifying earthquake breaks out…)(The four heroes are in the rubbish)
(Alexandros stands up and….)
Alexandros – Liza, Liza (He approaches her and he helps her to stand up...) Are you ok?
Liza – Yes, Yes…. I’m ok, thank you. Aishe, Jonas… Where are you?
Aishe – Here, here…
(Liza helps Aishe to stand up and Alexandros goes to Jonas)
Liza – Are you ok?
Aishe – Yes… (She coughs)
Alexandros – Jonas, Jonas…. How are you?
Jonas – I hurt my leg and I can’t walk
(Alexandros helps him to stand up…)
Alexandros – Are you injured?
Jonas – No, no…
Liza – How did it happen?
Jonas – I don’t know. Something fell on my leg. It must be right here
(The heroes are looking for it…)
Jonas – Here, here… (All gather around it)
Aishe – What is that?
Liza – It must be a statue.
(Jonas takes it in his hands…)
Jonas – It’s too dusty to see.
Liza – Wipe it.
(Jonas wipes it…)
Aishe - Woow!!! Indeed, it’s a statue.
Alexandros – There are some words on it. Read it.
Jonas - I can’t read. You read it.
Alexandros – Ok…
(He finds it difficult to read… he kneels and they all kneel…)
Alexandros – Eu… Eu…, eur – ro… euro…pp…Europe… Yes, that’s it…
“Europe kidnapped by Zeus”. Yes, “Europe kidnapped by Zeus”!!!
Aishe – Eu, eu Europe? Europe?...
Jonas – What is Europe?
Liza and Alexandros – Where is Europe? Has anybody seen Europe?
(They look at each other they look around them as though, they wait for an answer from whoever knows…)


(Curtain)
(The lights switch off)
(After a little time)
(the lights turn on… the four heroes stand up and they dance a song of the group “Active Members”: “Sing and smile”

Written by Lamprini Gesouli, A3 class of the 8th General Lyceum of Ioannina

No comments: