Monday, January 14, 2008

The big alcohol problem

The big alcohol problem

Characters: Roger, Elisabeth, Patrick, Denise, Frank, the doctor


Scene One:

A cold winter day in December

ROGER: Hey Elisabeth, I want to go to the pub after work.

ELISABETH: Why do you want to go there?

ROGER: I want to drink beer with my friends and watch football.

ELISABETH: When will you be home?

ROGER: I don´ t know. Why are you asking me that?

ELISABETH: I want to go shopping with you and the children, but you always put your friends first.

ROGER: In the pub I have fun, but when I go shopping I feel bored.

ELISABETH: You aren´ t interested in your family.

ROGER: Bye. I must go to work before I´ m late.

ELISABETH: STOP!!! If you go now out, you will never see me again. Do you get this?

ROGER: What do you want from me?

ELISABETH: I want to ask you a question, do you really love me?

He takes his time.

ROGER: Sorry, but I´ m late. I must go to work.



Scene Two:

After school Patrick and Denise are speaking about their father.


PATRICK: Denise, is our father an alcoholic?

DENISE: Shut up ! Don `t ask stupid questions .I don `t want to talk about this.

PATRICK: If we never talk about this, he will never be clean.

DENISE: Yes, I know, but it is dad`s problem and not ours.

PATRICK: But our dad could die, you know?

Denise thinks about this but she wants to change the subject.

DENISE: How was school today?

Patrick looks at her in a strange way.




Scene three:

On the way home.

FRANK: Why did you drink so much beer?

ROGER: What! I didn´ t drink lots of beer and who are you?

FRANK: I am your friend, Frank, and you are very drunk !

ROGER: And who are you?

FRANK: It is enough I´ ll take you home!!

ROGER: Why??

FRANK: Why aren´t you listening to me?

ROGER: Who are you?

FRANK: It is really enough now, I´ll take you home!!

ROGER: Why? I can go alone. And who are you?

FRANK: Show me, ok?

ROGER: Ok.

FRANK: Yes, go ahead!

ROGER: I live here.

FRANK: Are you sure? In this dirty bin.

ROGER: No!! Yes … no… euh… I don´ t know.







Scene four:

At home

ELISABETH: When will he come home?

Elisabeth hears that Roger thanks Frank.

ROGER: Thanks for taking me home.

ELISABETH: Where were you?

ROGER: I was at the pub.

ELISABETH: Did you drink lots of beer?

ROGER: No, and now I want to sleep!

ELISABETH: You are lying. I can smell it.

ROGER: Shut up, I am going to bed now.

ELISABETH: You are an alcoholic. I want to take the kids and go away. I can` t live like this anymore!

ROGER: Okay, then go away, but I keep the kids!

ELISABETH: No, no, never.

ROGER: We` ll see.

ELISABETH: You can` t take care of the kids.

ROGER: Ah, go away and leave me alone.

ELISABETH: You are hurting me very much!




Scene five:

The kids are at home and listen to their parents fighting. The parents are in the living- room.

ROGER: Shut up. If you insult me one more time, I will leave you.

ELISABETH: Yes, ok. You are a big pig.

ROGER: Bye!!!!

The kids are worried about their parents

DENISE: Oh no! Dad don´ t go away.

PATRICK: You´ re right. We must do something.

DENISE: Yes, but what?

PATRICK: I don´ t know… maybe we can talk with mum and dad, right?

DENISE: Ok, that´ s a good idea!

PATRICK: Yes, let´ s do it!




Scene six:

The father comes from of the living- room and sees the kids …

ROGER: Hey, I am going away now. Yes, I´ m leaving you !!!

PATRICK: But, we love you, dad!

DENISE: Yes, let´ s talk about it, please dad, do it for us!!

ROGER: No, it´ s over!

PATRICK: No, no dad you can´ t go away!

ROGER: Oh, I can, you´ ll see…

DENISE: No, dad please let us talk!

ROGER: Shut up.

PATRICK: Okay dad go but you can come back to talk, if you want to.

ROGER: Ha, ha.

PATRICK: Dad, we love you, don´ t forget that!!




Scene seven:

The mother is alone in the living-room and is thinking about her husband ´s alcohol problem. You can tell from the props on stage that the mother has been there for a long time. Then the kids come and talk to her.

PATRICK: Oh, mum, why is dad so mean to us. We love him.

ELISABETH: I don’t know. He is no longer the old Roger I loved.

DENISE: But, why does he drink so much?

ELISABETH: He drinks because … I don´ t know. He has a big alcohol problem and we can´ t do anything about. He must go to a hospital

PATRICK: Yes, but how. He didn´ t go when we told him.

DENISE: Maybe the doctor can come here and examine dad.

ELISABETH: Give it a try.

Then Roger comes in.

ROGER: Hey you three I forgot my rucksack …

DENISE: Why are you so bad?

ROGER: Shut up! I am leaving you now.

ELISABETH: Oh Roger you are no longer the Roger I loved.

ROGER: Oh yes that is the same old story.

DENISE: Dad, please, don´ t go away!

ELISABETH: Let him go, he isn´ t interested in us.

DENISE: But…

ROGER: No but, you understand.

ELISABETH: Euh Roger.




Scene eight:

In the morning the telephone rings


ELISABETH: Hello Mrs Blumberg speaking…What! Why is he in the hospital? ... I told him he should not drink drive. Was the accident bad? ... What are you saying? He will never walk again. Oh my god! ... no no no no… you are lying, you are lying.


She starts crying. Then the children come in.


DENISE: School was good today.

PATRICK: Yes, because I got a good mark.

DENISE: Oh see there is mum, she is crying!

PATRICK: Oh, why are you crying mum?

ELISABETH: It´ s …. Your father had a bad accident and….he is in the hospital ….and he won´t ever walk again …never again you know?

PATRICK: Oh, oh no that’ s not true!

DENISE: Why did he have an accident?

ELISABETH: He was drunk, I told him that he shouldn´ t drive when he is drunk.

PATRICK: Can we visit him in the hospital?

DENISE: Yes, please let´ s visit him now!!

ELISABETH: No, we can´ t visit him in the next three days. He must have a rest.

PATRICK: That’s not good but he needs the rest and it´ s good for him!

ELISABETH: Yes, you´ re right.

DENISE: But then we can visit him, can´ t we?

ELISABETH: Yes, sure, my sweetheart.

PATRICK: That is hard but life is not easy and we have to manage this crisis.

DENISE: Ok brother, we are a family and now I will go and do my homework.

ELISABETH: That’s the right attitude.

PATRICK: Ok, if you say so then is it right, I will do my homework too.



Scene nine:

In the hospital, the father is talking to the doctor.



ROGER: Hey doc I have got a question.

DOCTOR: Yes, Mr. Blumberg?

ROGER: When can I see my kids?

DOCTOR: Oh, you must wait three days then you can see your family.

ROGER: Ok, I must wait, that is right. Nurse, can I have a coffee?

NURSE: Yes, no problem I ´ll get you a coffee, with milk?

ROGER: Yes, please with milk and sugar.

DOCTOR: Ok drink your coffee and then try to sleep.

ROGER: Ok.

NURSE: Here is your coffee with milk and sugar.

ROGER: Thanks.

Then the telephone rings


ROGER: Hey Doctor I can´t take the telephone, please help me.

DOCTOR: Here is it .

ROGER: This is Roger ….oh….yes…..you want to visit me? with Elizabeth ? … it´s ok … I want to see you, too… bye .

DOCTOR: Was that your family?

ROGER: Yes, they want to visit me and the kids are sad but they can cope with the situation.

DOCTOR: Wait three days, then you can see your family, good night.




Scene nine:

The kids are in their room and talk about their father.


PATRICK: Look, Denise, we must help dad, let´s play with him and watch football with him at home .

DENISE: Yes, that’s a good idea.

PATRICK: Oh that was a hard day, now I go to bed.

DENISE: Yes, me too.

Then there is a knock on the door.


ELISABETH: Can I talk to you?

PATRICK: Yes.

ELISABETH: In three days it is your father´s birthday …let´s buy him a nice present, ok?

DENISE: Let´s buy a movie and a book.

ELISABETH: Yes a good idea. Goodnight.




Scene eleven:

The family is in the hospital to visit Roger.



DENISE: Hello dad and happy birthday!!

PATRICK: Yes and here are your presents.

ELISABETH: Yes, please don´t drink so much ,ok?

ROGER: Oh I´m touched that’s so nice.

ELISABETH: Oh Roger!

ROGER: Oh Elisabeth!

They kiss

DENISE: Oh mum, dad. Not in front of us.

PATRICK: Yes, Denise is right. Tomorrow dad will be at home again then you can kiss all the time.

ELISABETH: Children, do you want to go out with your parents tomorrow?

PATRICK: Yes we would like to. Right, Denise?

DENISE: Of course.

ROGER: I will be the best dad in the world.

DENISE: Ok.

ROGER: Yes I have learned so much.



By: Maximilian Szyprowski 7a, Abdelkarim Ifrassen 7a, Nic Hammerbeck 7c, Serdar Gümüs 7a, Ümit Celik 7a
of Städtische Realschule Kastanienallee Velbert-Germany

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nice! it's a really interesting plot. why do you change so often the scences though? can you change so many scences in a play?