Tuesday, June 10, 2008

LoFrien + NdsVe→Love+Friends

LoFrien + NdsVe→Love+Friends*
Persons:
Marian: student
Chris: student
Mrs. Johnson: Teacher of Ancient Greek
Mr. Weasley: Art Teacher




SCENE 1

(Chris in the library reading a book – Mike comes in)

Marian: “Hey man, what’s up? Oh my god! For what do you need all these books?”

Chris: “Hellooooo? I have to find some information for my project in biology… You have to start writing it too, remember?”

Marian: “Oh, don’t start again with this project! Calm down! We have two whole months until we have to hand it in!!”

Chris: “Yeah, but.. Helloooo?! We have to write about 60 pages except for the experiment we have to do. Two months just aren’t enough to finish all this!”

Marian: “Do you remember the project in physics last year? We had again two months to finish the 60 pages, and we both did it in less than four weeks!”

Chris: “Yes, but this one is much more difficult You always have to find new information”

Marian: “Come on Chris, relax a bit!!!!!!! There are so many other important things in life than this project, and generally school… Anyway, will you come this evening to the cafeteria? The others will be at a football match, and I don’t want to be alone…”

Chris: "I don’t know we have history for tomorrow and so many other lessons to do…"

Marian: “Ohhhh, come on, enough with these lessons. Remind me when was the last time you came to the cafeteria with us cause I don’t remember..?”

Chris: “Well I just don’t have time.”

Marian: ”Really, then tell me how can I have time to go out with my friends..??”

Chris: “You never do all of your homework. Have you ever studied for history??”

Marian: “Bullshit.. Who cares about history?? You are the only person I know who studies history!!

Chris: “Well ok I will come with you to the cafeteria just to show you that I don’t study all the time.”

Marian: “Fine, today you will have a great evening without books. Hmmmm what about 8 o’clock?”

Chris: “Ok, see you there…”

Marian: “Very nice.. Ohhhh, have you seen the book Che Guevara’s life? Because I want to find his biography for the school newspaper.”

Chris: “Aisle 5. There you can find the biography of many well-known people.”

Marian: “You know the library by heart...”
(Marian searching for the book)

Marian: “Ohh, there it is. I will write the best article ever, hehe. Ok, I have to leave now see you in the classroom.”

Chris: “Ok, bye. Oh god, I need the names of all the stupid human bones.”

(Marian laughs and leaves)


SCENE 2

(In the classroom)

Marian: “Oh, I hate ancient Greek and the teacher too.”

The teacher: “Stop talking… Marian, tell me the translation of part 2 in page 34.”

Marian: “Ehmm… I’m sorry, I didn’t have enough time to study.”

The teacher: “Oh, the same things again... How many times do I have to tell you that you have to study very hard?”

Marian: “Yeah, I’m sorry, but, you know I don’t care so much about ancient Greek.”

The teacher: “If you don’t know your roots then you don’t know your language. And if you don’t know your language you are not a Greek person.”

Marian: “Yes, I agree, but I’m not gonna speak with Aristotle or Socrates and apart from this the way we are taught ancient Greek in school makes us hate this subject. You know very well that the Greek school system sucks.”

The teacher: “Be careful the way you speak, please. The system is not the problem. The real problem is that you, students don’t study as much as it is necessary. For example look at Chris he always studies! This is what students should be like!”

Marian (ironically): “Yeah ok…”

(the art teacher comes into the classroom)

The art teacher: “Sorry that I disturb your lesson, but can I have Marian for a little? We want to discuss something about the school play.”

The teacher: “Oh again this play. I can’t stop the lesson every time. But okay Marian you can go.”


(the lights turn off)


SCENE 3

(Marian calls Chris at his house)

Marian: “Hey, Chris. Can you bring me the CD I asked you to burn for me?”

Chris: “Ohhh, shit I forgot. Sorry Marian but we had so many things to do for school and I didn’t even think about it.

Marian (with aggravation): “Okay, never mind. Anyway see you at the cafeteria okay?”

Chris: “Oh, Marian! I just wanted to say that-“

Marian: “You don’t want to come! Am I right?”

Chris: “No, it’s just… Oh, forget it..”

Marian: “Okay… So, see you at the cafeteria… Bye!”

Chris: “Alright… Bye!”



SCENE 4


(At the cafeteria. Marian is already there).

Chris: “Hey, Marian. Sorry, I’m late..”

Marian: “Hey. Never mind. Where is Mary?”

Chris: “Ohh, didn’t I tell you? We broke up…”

Marian: “Really? Why? You were such a nice couple…”

Chris: “Because we both didn’t have enough time to meet. I have to study very hard now because of the exams…”

Marian: “Are you kidding? You must be stupid to break up because of this!! You are not in the third class of high school so you don’t need to study so much. You are overdoing it!! Poor Mary…”

Chris: “STOP NOW!! You always blame me because I study hard!! Look at you. You always have arguments with the teachers because you don’t study. The only things you are interested in are boys, the school newspaper, theater plays, and things that you are not going to use in your whole life!!!”

Marian: “Of course these things I do are useful. And, of course I study, I just don’t study the subjects, I consider useless. At least I know how to live my life, not like you, locked in your room studying all the time. You have changed so much, you are not the Chris I used to know.”

Chris: “Nothing has changed to me, I just haven’t so much time I used to.”

Marian: “Then you have to organize your time better…”

Chris: “Stop pretending to know everything. It’s not easy to do everything on time. You always have time because you never study.”

Marian: “That’s not true, you know that I study! I just do so many other things… And I always have time!”

Chris: “If you have such big problem with me then stop spending time with me. This is who I am and I will not change for you.”

Marian: “I didn’t say that! It’s just that you don’t want to hang around with us anymore and you don’t even care about us!!”

Chris (angrily): “I’m not going to stay here and listen to your bad insults! I’m leaving!”
(he stands up and goes out)

Marian (sadly): “If you need help to find the old Chris just call me…”


SCENE 5

(the next day in the class room, in school. The bell has already rang for the lesson)


The art teacher: “Good morning kids!”

The kids: “Good morning Mr. Weasley!”

Mr. Weasley: “So, today we’re going to discuss some of Picasso’s masterpieces. Marian, can you tell us something about Picasso?”

Marian: “I think you should ask Chris, he knows every thing better than all the others. Am I right, Chris?”

Chris: “Just shut up, Marian, ok?”

Mr. Weasley: “Marian, Chris? What’s going on with you two? I have never seen you so altercated.”

Marian: “Ask Chris. As I said before he knows everything better.”

Mr. Weasley: “Ok, Marian, that’s enough. Chris, do you want to share this problem with us?”

Chris: “Some people think that I have changed and I don’t have time for my friends. The fact is that I just want to be ready for the things I am going to confront in my future. And this is not a mistake.”

Marian: “Isn’t it a mistake if you forget your friends because of that? Because of your future? As Shakespeare said we know what we are, but not what we may be. And therefore my opinion is to live the every moment, and especially with our friends.”

Mr. Weasley: “Very nice speech, Marian!”

Chris: “The next years will be very difficult for our generation. There’s no time for what you said, Marian.”

Marian: “If there’s no time for friendship, what’s the reason of existing?”

Mr. Weasley: “I think that’s a quite interesting discussion we are having here. Well, my dear kids, we are living in a very difficult era and what Chris said was right. You must have many qualifications to survive. Nowadays, unfortunately, only the strong and smart can survive. Only the ones with money have an easy life, and you can only have money if you are smart and sometimes lucky. How many people have you seen earn money without working for that, because they are lucky?”

Marian: “I agree, but what about friendsh-?”

Mr. Weasley: “Wait Marian. I haven’t finished yet. You asked about friendship.. Of course, that’s very important. I can ensure you that family and friends are the most important things in life. And, of course, love. A person without these three things in life is empty. You have to find the time to accommodate these things.”

Chris: “I think your right… I overdid it a bit.”

(the bell rings for break)

Mr. Weasley: “Chris, I’m very proud of you that you can admit your mistakes. That’s very difficult for some people. Marian, please, be more patient next time. You see, everything can be solved with a dialogue. I hope everything we said today will stay in your mind forever. Break is over… I have to leave now. See you tomorrow.”

(Mr. Weasley leaves the classroom)

Marian: “Well… Friends again?”

Chris: “Oh, come here!”

(they hug friendly)

Marian: “Today is the concert from our favorite band… Do you want to go with me and rock a bit?”

Chris: “I would love to!!”

Marian: “I think I can see the old Chris again… Oh! Did I tell you?”

Chris: “What?”

Marian: “I spoke with Mary… She wants to see you.”
(Chris smiles)

Chris: “I were so stupid that I had almost destroyed our friendship.”

(the bell rings for the next lesson)

Marian: “ Do you want to cut school?”

(Chris is looking at her weirdly)

Marian: “I am just kidding!”

(they both walk out of the classroom)

* A double substitution-like reaction from Chemistry



END
Written by Arianna Spyrou and Valentini Toumbari of 8th Geniko Lykeio Ioanninon-Greece

No comments: