Thursday, February 28, 2008

"THE LEADERS"

"THE LEADERS"

Scene 1

(Matt, Tina, Anna: friends- Outside the school)
Matt: So, are you coming with us tonight Anna?
Anna: No I’ll stay at home to study for the exams.
Matt: Come on, now, forget the exams, the only thing you care about is school.
Tina: hey, guys, stop talking about school. Seven hours a day is enough for me. Why don’t we go somewhere this evening?
Ann: Good idea! What about the café?
Matt: Why not. Let’s go.

Scene 2

(At the café )
Tina: I can’t see the time for summer. This year school was really difficult.
Ann: And boring too.
Tina: everything is boring for you Anna.
(Everyone is laughing)
Anna: Ha, ha so funny! I’m won’t speak again.
Matt: Have you seen Tom today?
Anna: No, he didn’t come to school.
Tina: Maybe something bad has happened to him.
Anna: Don’t worry about that Tina, you know Tom. I think he didn’t study or he didn’t want to come to school today.
Tina: I hope so.
Anna: Where are you going for holidays when we finish school? I’m going to Paris.
Matt: That’s good for you Ann but if you ask me, I don’t think I’ll pass the exams.
Tina: Don’t be silly Matt, the only thing you have to do is to study harder. I study at least four hours a day.(Somebody’s mobile phone is ringing)
Matt: This is mine. Hello,… Tom…,Yes, I’m with Anna and Tina. What? ... ok, ok we’re coming now.
Anna: What did he say? What happened?
Matt: Well,..
Tina: Tell us Matt.
Matt: Tom broke his leg, that’s why he didn’t come to school.
Tina: What? What about the exams?
Matt: Well, I suppose there’s no problem with that.
Anna: And what about the match?
Matt: I don’t think he can play.
Anna: It’s impossible, he is the leader of the team. You can’t play without him.
Matt: I don’t know, maybe we have to.
Tina: This is bad luck! Why now?
Matt: It’s not just luck, he wasn’t careful!
Anna: And now?
Matt: He will tell us everything. He said we can go to his home if we want.
Tina: Let’s go.

Scene 3

(At Tom’s home:- in his room)
Tom: Guys! I’m so happy to see you. I’m so bored. I’ve been in bed for two days now.
Tina: When will you be ok?
Tom: It’s not sure but the doctor said in about a month.
Matt: A month? That’s impossible. What about the game? Have you forgotten it?
Tom: No, I’m so sorry, you know I’d been waiting for this game months now. But I can’t play. You have to do it without me.
Matt: We can’t, you are the leader of the team. The whole team is dead without you.
Tom: I’m just a player. Come on, Matt. So many players would like to play for the final game, choose one and win. Do it for me. I’ll be there to watch the game. Tina: Oh, no. What’s the time?
Matt: It’s almost five o’ clock.
Tina: We have to go to the library to work on the project, did you forget it?
Anna: So, we better go now. Bye Tom.
Tina & Matt: Bye.
Tom: Bye, guys. Thanks for coming.

Scene 4

(In the library)
Anna: What are we looking for?
Tina: A book on “How caterpillars become butterflies”.
Matt: Who had this idea?
Tina: The teacher. I know it isn’t perfect but it’s easy.
Anna: Guys, come here, I’ve found something.
Tina: (reading the title) Caterpillar’s life before it becomes a butterfly. That’s it.
Anna: Can we go now? I promised to my mother to be at home to look after my little sister while she is at work.
Tina: Yes, I should go home too. I have to study.
Anna: Ok, see you tomorrow.
Matt: Bye

Scene 5

(The next day at school)
(In the break)
Anna: I’m so happy. The teacher said that our project was very good.
Tina: I was sure about that.
Matt: I was not. This project was for babies.
Anna: Why do you say that?
Matt: You know.
Tina: The coach said you must go to the gym.
Matt: Why now? We go at four o’ clock every day.
Tina: He said that you will play with the new player.
Matt: He can’t be better than Tom.
Anna: I’m sure he isn’t. Tom is the best player we have at school.
Matt: And a good leader too!
Anna: When Tom was in the team I was sure that you would win the final game but now, I’m not
Matt: What do you mean? You don’t trust me?
Anna: It’s not that but a team without the leader can’t be as good as it was.
Matt: Thank you very much. (He is leaving) And if you want to know, I’m the new leader while Tom is in bed.
Anna: Matt! ...
Tina: I think they will win the match. Matt loves Basketball. He’s his all life.
Tina: I know, but…
Anna: None of you can imagine how Tom feels.
Tina: Look Anna, Tom is our friend and I care for him but Matt needs our help now. You can’t fight with him before the most important match of his life.
Anna: I know but, Matt just can’t understand, and it’s so strange. Tom is his best friend.
Tina: Tom has broken his leg and Matt can do nothing for that. Don’t you believe that he doesn’t care at all? But he has too many things to do.
Anna: I know. I was so upset, you’re right, I will apologize to Matt.

Scene 6

(After 2 hours)
Tina: Look, he is coming.
Anna: Matt…
Matt: Anna, look I’m really sorry, but, everything is changing in my life. And if all this is not enough I have to worry about my parents’ divorce.
Anna: What? How can that happen?
Tina: Why didn’t you tell us that earlier?
Matt: I wasn’t sure if you should know it but you are my best friends and Tom is my best friend too.
Anna: Yes, he is, but I don’t know what to say.
Matt: Don’t worry everything will be ok now.
Anna: And what are you going to do?
Matt: I don’t know, I think I’ll stay here with my father.
Anna: What about your mother?
Matt: I told her. I’m sorry but I can’t do anything else.
Tina: It’s ok, Matt. We are here for you.
Anna: Yes, we are. Forget everything else. The only things you should care about are the team and the exams.
Tina: You haven’t talked to us about the new player of the team?
Matt: I tell you about him. He plays very well but he plays alone. He doesn’t want to play as a member of the team. He wants to be the leader. I’m trying to play with him as he is a part of the team but it’s impossible. I can’t stand him. I wish Tom could play in this game. Everything would be different.
Anna: What does the coach say about him?
Matt: He just thinks he is very good. The big talent.
Tina: What’s his name?
Matt: Andrew. Why are you asking me?
Tina: I know him.
Anna: What! How do you know it?
Tina: I have a cousin, he goes to another school and he plays basketball in the city’s team. His name is Andrew. I’m almost sure it’s him.
Anna: So you don’t like him at all Matt! Do you?
Matt: I didn’t say that. It’s just that no one is as good as Tom is.
Anna: Hey, Matt. Did Tom call you?
Matt: No, he didn’t.
Tina: I think we better go now. I have to study.
Anna: Yes, we know, you have to study for the exams.
Tina: And you too.
Matt: See you tomorrow then. Bye.
Tina & Anna: Bye, Matt.

Scene 7

(After school)

Tina: Finally the most difficult subject is gone.
Anna: It was very difficult I don’t think I’ve passed it.
Matt: Neither do I.
Tina: You should study harder guys. You don’t want to study all the summer.
Anna: I think we had better go somewhere to relax, and forget the exams.
Tina: Let’s go to my house, my parents aren’t there.

Scene 8

(At Tina’s home)
(Her room)

Tina: So, what are we doing now?
Anna: Hey Matt. Tell us about your parents.
Matt: I have nothing to say, I told you everything yesterday.
Tina: Why didn’t tell us about it earlier?
Matt: Sorry but it was difficult for me. I always thought that something would change.
Anna: Like what?
Tina: Anna!
Anna: What? He is our best friend, and when he needs help he can talk to us, freely.
Matt: You mean, you tell us about everything that happens in your life?
Anna: Not everything, but the most important.
Matt: I said I was not ready to tell you about it , I didn’t want you know that, but now I understand that we can’t have everything we want in our life.
Tina: No, but we try to change what ever we can, to make our lives better.
Nobody has the perfect family.
Matt: You have it.
Tina: No I don’t, my parents are together but they’re not happy.
Anna: My mother has been in America for years now.
Tina: Listen. Nobody has the life he wants to have. Look at Tom. He broke his leg now that he needs it more than ever, but he is still hoping for the best.
Matt: Well listen! We are lucky we have each other. When you have friends, everything in your life can be better.
Anna: where is your mother now?
Tina: she has gone to the dentist with my sister.
Anna: you are lucky you have a sister, I wish I had one too.
Tina: I give you mine if you want it so much! (everyone is laughing).
Anna: it’s not so funny, you are not alone when you are at home.
Tina: I wish I was. You don’t have a sister and you say that, if you had one you would understand me.
Matt: I have a sister too but she is older then me. I have no problems with her but I have a brother a year younger than me and he is really a problem.
Anna: I didn’t know you have a brother, I’d like to meet him.
Matt: no problem, if you want, I can call him to come to the café.
Anna: call him.
Matt: Tina, what do you think?
Tina: I’d like to meet your little brother too.
(on the phone)
Matt: OK…! Hey brother, would you like to come to the cafe to meet my friends? They want to see you. You’re coming? OK! Bye. See you there.
Tina: what did he say? Is he coming?
Matt: yes he is. I told him that we will be at the café so we have to go.
Anna: Yes let’s go.

Scene 9

( at the café)
Anna: I hope he is not like you!
Matt: what do you mean?
Anna: Just kidding.
Tina: he is late. We have been waiting for half an hour.
Matt: there he is.
(Adam is coming)
Adam: Hi.
Anna: hello!
Matt: So guys this is my brother Adam. Adam these are my friends, Anna and Tina.
Adam: where is your friend Tom? I’ve heard about him from you.
Matt: I told you. He broke his leg and he has to be in bed for a week.
Adam: So what’s up guys?
Anna: tell us about you Adam, Matt told us he has a brother just before you come, and we wanted to meet you. Well, do you like basketball like your brother?
Adam: Yes I am in a team too but my hobbies are music and dance.
Tina: Do you dance? Really? What kind of dance?
Adam: my best is hip-hop.
Anna: Do you sing too?
Adam: well actually I write lyrics.
Anna: very interesting will you sing one of your songs? For me?
Adam: now? I am not ready. Some other time.
Anna: ok.
Tina: Hey Matt why don’t you take Adam to the team and forget Andrew?
Matt: That’s a good idea, Tina, Adam plays like a professional.
Adam: Me? Wow! What are you talking about?
Matt: Don’t you want to play in the final match?
Adam: Yes, I do, but no one from your team knows me. How can I play now?
Matt: That’s not a problem. Don’t worry about that. Come, if you want it we are starting tomorrow.
Adam: How many days have we got for the final game?
Matt: 2 weeks.
Adam: Ok, I’ll do my best. I promise.
Tina: Let’s go to tell Tom about it.
Anna: Yes, he will be very happy.
Matt: Ok, let’s go. Adam, will you come?
Adam: Are you sure?
Matt: Sure, Tom, would like to meet the new player of the team?
Adam: Ok then, I’ll come.

Scene 10

(at Tom’s home)
(in his room)

Tom: Hello, Matt, hi girls. Who is that guy?
Matt: He is my brother Adam.
Tom: Hi, Adam how are you?
Adam: Fine, thanks.
Matt: hey, Tom, guess what!
Tom: What?
Anna: Adam is playing for the team in the final match!
Tom: What? Are you sure he can play?
Matt: Yes, he is my brother you know!
Adam: If you don’t want me in the team, I don’t want to be a problem for you.
Tina: You’re not a problem Adam, we had been looking for a good player before Matt told us about Andrew.
Adam: Who is Andrew?
Anna: The other player.
Adam: Won’t he have a problem with me?
Matt: Who cares?
Adam: What about the coach? Won’t he have a problem?
Matt: No, if I tell him that you are my brother and you play in a team too.
Tom: Good. I feel relaxed when I know that a good player, my best friend’s brother will play for me.
Adam: Thanks, Tom. I hope I won’t disappoint you.
Tom: Hey, guys, I didn’t tell you. I’m coming to watch the match.
Tina: Really? What did the doctor say? Can you walk?
Tom: Yes. And look at this?
Tina: What’s this?
Tom: Can’t you see?
Anna: ”The Leaders”! It’s the name of the team. You drew the name of the team on you arm?
Tom: No, I didn’t. It’s a red tattoo.
Matt: It’s cool! When did you do that?
Tom: well, staying at home, all these days I persuaded my parents to let my do this.
Anna: I can’t believe you did it. Did it hurt?
Tom: Not much. My leg hurts more.
Matt: You are a real leader! One day I’ll do it too!
Anna: So with Adams help we are going to win the match and the leader of the team is in bed.
(everyone’s laughing)
Tom: It’s not funny.
Anna: (she is thinking) No it isn’t but with my stupid mind I’ve made Tom stop thinking about his leg! That’s good.

Scene 11

(Two weeks later)
(At school)

Anna: Oh, my God! Today is the big day. We’ll take our reports.
Tina: Yes, I know it. I haven’t slept all night.
Anna: I can’t believe you say that. You are the first one who passes the exams every year.
Tina: Yes, but do you think it’s easy for me?
Matt: Don’t forget. It’s not only the day for the marks. We have a match to win if you forgot it.
Anna: Are you kidding me? How can we forget it? We are talking about this every day, all day!
Matt: I don’t want to take my report. My parents will kill me if they see that I haven’t passed.
Tina: I am afraid of Math.
Anna: What are you afraid of? If you don’t have 20 but 19?
Tina: Maybe I’ll take 18.
Anna: I don’t know about you but I will take 8!

(half an hour later)
Matt: I’ve passed, look. Oh, my God, I can’t believe this!
Tina: that’s good for you. But I can’t say the same for Anna! She has not passed.
Anna: Don’t worry about me, I knew I wouldn’t pass. But it’s only one subject.
Tina: now, what are you going to do?
Anna: I suppose I will have to study all summer.
Mat: what about Tom, did he pass?
Tom: Yes, he did.
Tina: Anna you’re not the only one who didn’t pass, don’t worry. Most of all in our class didn’t pass maths.
Anna: I know. This teacher…
Tina: it’s not the teacher’s fault if you don’t study at all!
Anna: who said I didn’t study at all?
Tina: did you?
Anna: Yes, I just can’t understand maths!
Matt: at 6 o’ clock the game starts.
Tina: Yes, I know. What about Adam? Is he good enough for the team?
Matt: Yes, he is. The coach said we should have taken him in the team earlier.
Anna: Tom is coming too! Isn’t he?
Matt: Yes. And you should be there too!
Anna and Tina: Ok… Bye!

Scene 12

(before the match)
Anna: Don’t worry about the match. We will win.
Tina: Yes, have faith guys, and do your best.
Matt: I’m sure we will win.
Tom: Don’t forget, it’s not just winning for the game. Just have fun!
Matt: Tom, I wish you could play too, everything would be different now.
Tom: I’ll be there watching you.
Anna: So good luck and take care!
Tina: See you.

Scene 13

( After the match)
Tom: you said it and you did it. You won the match. I’m so proud of you guys.
Matt: We were lucky too. The other team was really good.
Anna: Yes but not as good as you are!
Tina: Congratulations! I’m so happy for you.
Matt: we wouldn’t have won if we Adam hadn’t played for us.
Adam: thanks Matt, but I think that you are a good leader. Even though he wasn’t playing, he was important for us.
Matt: that’s true. When I had something difficult to do, I was thinking of Tom, and I managed to do it.
Tom: this is the best game I’ve ever seen. Thank you, guys, you have been near me all this time. The important thing for me is to spend my time with my best friends.
All together: Leaders-Leaders-Leaders…




WRITER : MARIA PRISKA
of the 8th Geniko Lykeio Ioanninon-Greece

No comments: