Monday, January 14, 2008

A dis-joint family

A dis-joint family



Scene 1

Characters: Mike, Jennifer (his mother), Brad (his father), Peter (drug dealer), Julia and Susanne (only on the phone), Conny, man / woman at 999

Mike and his family are at home.

JENNIFER. Mike, please stop these violent things.

MIKE. Shut up. I´ll go my own way. Don´t tell me what I have to do.

JENNIFER. But Mike I ….. .

MIKE. No this my life. And now I must go to Peter´s.

JENNIFER. No you won’t go to Peter´s. You must help me.

MIKE. But I must see him. I won’t help you.

The father helps Mike so that he can go out.

BRAD. Jennifer, let him go to Peter´s.

JENNIFER. But he must help me.

BRAD. If you need help, Jenny, I will help you, O.K.?

JENNIFER. O.K.

Mike leaves the house.



Scene 2

After talking with his parents Mike comes to Peter’s house.

MIKE. Hey Peter. Have you got some joints for me?

PETER. Yes I have. How many do you want?

MIKE. 5

PETER. O.K. Then you have to give me 20€.

MIKE. But I have only got 15€.

PETER. Bad luck, I must sell them for 20€.

MIKE. But I need this stuff, because if I don’t get it I will go crazy.

PETER. Sorry, Mike, but I can’t give you the joints. For your money I can only give you three joints.

MIKE. Oh damn. O.K. then I take three joints O.K.

PETER. Yes O.K. Here are your joints.

MIKE. Thanks Peter how can I thank you?

PETER. No problem, Mike. For good friends I do everything.




Scene 3

At home.

JENNIFER. Brad, where is Mike. Have you seen him since he went to see Peter?

BRAD. No, Jenny. I haven’t seen Mike since then.

JENNIFER. And what if he had an accident with a car or some one beat him.

BRAD. No I think he’s ok. I’m sure he will be home soon.

JENNIFER. Yes, you´re right. He’ll be home soon.





Scene 4:

Mike and Peter are in the playground near Mike´s home.

MIKE. Yes that’s good. I like this shit.

PETER. Yes you’re right I like it, too.

MIKE. What time is it?

PETER. It’s half past twelve.

MIKE. Oh damn. I must go home because I should have been home at ten o’clock.

PETER. No! And what about this half joint?

MIKE. We can smoke another day. But I must go home.

PETER.O.K.



Scene 5:

Mike comes home late. His mum is very angry.

JENNY. MIKEEEEEEE! Where are you coming from?

MIKE. I am coming from Peter´s house.

JENNY. You should have been home at ten o’clock. You must go to school tomorrow.

MIKE. What? I don’t want to go to school anymore. School is shit and very boring.

JENNY. Oh yes. You must go to school. Or would you like to be a poor person?

MIKE. No. I won’t go to school. I will go to Peter´s.

JENNY. Oh no. Speak with your father. Brad, please come here.

The father comes and speaks to them.

BRAD. What happened?

JENNY. Your son won’t go to school. Please speak with him!

BRAD.O.K.

BRAD. Mike, why don´t you want to go to school anymore?

MIKE. It’s very boring and it’s shit go to school.

BRAD. Mike. If you don’t want to go to school and don’t want to learn, you must go working.

MIKE. O.K. I go working. When I go working I have money.

BRAD. If you want to work you can do so, but I´m telling you: It’s very hard to work.

Mike leaves.





Scene 6


JENNY. MIIIIIIIIIIKKKKKKKKKKKEEEEEEEEE. Why are you here? You should be at school.

MIKE. Mum, I have spoken with dad and he thinks that if I don’t want go to school I must go working. I am looking for work now and I have already spent the whole day looking for work. But no one wanted to hire me. I want to go working, because I’m sick of school and I’m sick of YOU!!!

Mike’s mother is violent and gives him a slap in his face.

MIKE. You’re a bitch. I won´t stay another minute in this shit house.

JENNY. No. Excuse me, Mike. Stay here.

MIKE. Let me go.

Mike leaves the house. Mike´s father comes.

BRAD. What happened to him?

JENNY. I was very violent to him and he left.

BRAD. It’s because I spoke with him and told him that if he doesn’t go to school he must find a job. That’s all because of me, because I told him to go and look for a job.

JENNY. No. That’s all because me, if I hadn´t slapped him, he wouldn’t have run away.

BRAD. Oh Jenny. You are a good mum, but when you are violent with Mike
he gets very scared when he sees you that way.

JENNY. O.k. But we must find Mike.




Scene 7:

The parents of Mike phone Mike`s friends.


JENNY. Hello it’s Mike’s mother. I have got a question.

JULIA. Hello. What’s up?

JENNY. Has Mike been with you today?

JULIA. No, I haven’t seen him today.

JENNY. He has run away from home.

JULIA. Ohhh. If you need help I´ll help you.

JENNY. Thank you but I must find him alone because I made a mistake and I must take the consequences.

JULIA. O.K. but if you need help you can ask me.

JENNY. Hello. This is Jenny speaking. I’m looking for my son, Mike. Do you know where he is?

SUSANNE. Hi Jenny. I saw your son in the city. He looked very different from what he looked on Friday.

JENNY. Where did you see Mike?

SUSANNE. I saw him in front of McDonald’s.

JENNY. Oh O.K. thank you for your help, but one last question: When was that?

SUSANNE. Ehmmm. A few hours ago.



At this moment, Mike enters the house.

JENNY. Where were you?

Mike goes to his room and doesn’t say anything, he only mutters.

MIKE. I hate this family. I must go away.

Jenny is in the kitchen and cries.

JENNY. I’m a bad mother. I will tell him that he must stay with us.

MIKE. No I don’t want to speak with you.

JENNY. Mike, give me one last chance. Please.

MIKE. Ohhh mum but… O.K..

JENNY. Thank you Mike. Why did you run away?

MIKE. You were very violent with me. And I hate you for that.

JENNY. Yes Mike I know I was violent with you.

MIKE. O.K. Mum. Now we can speak honestly.

JENNY. Ohh Mike you are very cute.

MIKE. Thanks mum. I love you.

JENNY. I love you, too.

MIKE. O.K. mum what do you want to tell me?? I want to hear what you have to tell me. Tell me what you want.

JENNY. So I want to know why you ran away from me?

MIKE. But now I’m here, aren’t I.

JENNY. Yes and I’m happy about it. But I have to ask you another question now.

MIKE. Yes what’s up?

JENNY. Do you smoke joints?

MIKE. Er…. No I don’t. Why?

JENNY. Just asking.

MIKE. Ah O.K.

JENNY. And what about alcohol?

MIKE. No I don’t drink alcohol, too. Please trust me O.K.?!

JENNY. Of course I trust you because you’re my son!

MIKE. Ohhh mum I love you so much.

JENNY. I love you, too, my lovely son.

MIKE. I would go to school for YOU!

JENNY. You don’t go to school for me, you go to school for your future.

MIKE. Yes O.K. but I will go to school.

JENNY. But if you go to school you must work harder because you were not good at school when you went there. So you have to learn!

MIKE. Mum I will learn for school and bring home good marks.

JENNY. Tomorrow we’ll go to school together and talk to the teachers to apologize.

MIKE. O.K. Tomorrow we’ll go to school and I’ll apologize for my behaviour.

JENNY. Good idea. But now you have to go to bed.

MIKE.O.K., mum. See you tomorrow.



Scene 8:

This night Mike calls Peter asks him when he can give him joints.

MIKE. Hello Peter, it’s Mike

PETER. Ohh hello Mike nice to hear you. What is going on?

MIKE. I’ve got a question. Have you got five joints?

PETER. Yes I have, but you must give me 20€.

MIKE.O.K. When can you give me the joints?

Peter. Will you go to school tomorrow?

MIKE. Yes.

PETER. O.K. Then I can give you the joints at school tomorrow.

MIKE. O.K. see you tomorrow and a good night

PETER. Good night, too

Mike goes to bed and sleeps






Scene 9:


The next morning Mike’s mum wakes him up at 7 o’clock.

JENNY. Good morning Mike.

MIKE. Morning.

JENNY. Come on, get up and get ready for school.

MIKE. O.K. mum.

JENNY. The next bus comes at 7.35am. So you have to get up now.

MIKE. O.K. I´ll get up now.





Scene 10:


When Mike wants to leave the house his mum talks to him again.

JENNY. Mike thank you for listening to me.

MIKE. Yes, no problem, mum. You’re my mum.

JENNY. Go now.

MIKE. Bye mum

JENNY. Bye.





Secne 11:

Outside the house Mike meets Peter and speaks to him.

MIKE. Good morning Peter.

PETER. Good morning Mike.

MIKE. Have you got my things?

PETER. Which things?

MIKE. My joints?

PETER. Ohh yes I have. Have you got the money?

MIKE. Yes I have. Can you give me the joints now?

PETER. Are you sure? Here?

MIKE. Yes why not?!

PETER. O.K.

MIKE. No problem

Peter and Mike exchange the joints and the money inconspicously.

PETER. Thank you.

MIKE. No I must thank you.

Mike takes a different way.

PETER. Where are you going?

MIKE. I won’t go to school. I’ll smoke my joints.

PETER. No! You have to go to School.

MIKE. No I have to go to smoke my joints.

PETER. O.K. it’s your problem.

MIKE. Yes that’s right it’s my problem!

Peter goes to school but Mike goes to the playground next to school and lights a joint.

The light go down and up again.. And the last pieces of the joints are lying on the ground next to him.


MIKE. Ah that shit is very good . Better than the last stuff.


He looks very tired and he is sitting on the ground.


MIKE. Ohh I ….. I think…….

Now Mike is lying on the ground and he can’t move. He tries to cry for help.

MIKE (quietly). Hello is there anybody I need help. Please!!

A girl that is going to school is too late and hears Mike cry.


CONNY. Hello is there anybody?

MIKE (quietly). Hello I’m over here. Please help me.

CONNY. Where are you?

MIKE. I’m in the playground.

Conny goes to Mike.

CONNY. Man, what are you doing!?

MIKE. Please do something. I can’t move.

CONNY. O.K. I call an ambulance.


She takes out her mobile phone.

999: Hello Can I help you.

CONNY. Ohh Yes a boy is lying on the ground and he can’t move.

999. O.K. and where are you?

CONNY. We’re at the playground near school.

999. O.K. a doctor is coming soon. Please go to the corner of the street and wait for the doctor, O.K.?

CONNY. O.K. But come soon please.

Conny speaks to Mike.

CONNY. What did you do?

MIKE. I smoked five joints.

CONNY. Why?

MIKE. You have rescued my life! Thank you.

CONNY. No problem.




Scene 12:

At the hospital. And Mike is lying in bed. And Jenny comes in.


JENNY. Mike, what happened?

MIKE. I smoked five joints.

JENNY. Oh, Mike why did you do that?

MIKE. Sorry mum.

JENNY. It’s O.K. now you must stay here in the hospital to recover.

MIKE. O.K. mum. Please let me alone I must think.

JENNY. O.K. see you tomorrow.

MIKE. One moment, mum. Can you find the girl who found me? I have to thank her for saving my life. I have to learn to save my life.



BY: Tim Blomberg and Bartolomeo Guidara.
of Städtische Realschule Kastanienallee Velbert-Germany

No comments: